Sign in with
Your question

Crysis cracking gaming PC with budget of $2500

Last response: in Systems
May 26, 2009 10:26:39 AM

hello all,

Planning to get a new rig by start of next month. I intend to play Crysis sort of games at 1900 X1200 res with 8x AA and 16x AF.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: June 10 2009

BUDGET RANGE: US$ 2500 (a bit more or less is ok )

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Xtreme gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: anyone would do as long as it gives me the best price.

PARTS PREFERENCES: nothing specific

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

I have the following build in mind:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i7-920

Memory: Mushkin 998679 6.0 GB DDR3-1600 , 3x 2.0 GB, CAS 7-8-7-20, 1.65 V

Graphics: TRI SLI : EVGA 01G-P3-1280-TR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 X 3

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives

Optical: LG GGC-H20LK Blu-ray Disk/HD-DVD ROM 6x BRD, 3x HD-DVD ROM, 16x DVD±R

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Power: COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80
PLUS Certified Active PFC

Fans: Need Help on this

Monitor: SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor (with built in digital TV tuner)

Sound Card: Not sure if I should get one ( do i need one ? Need Help on this )

Speaker: ALTEC LANSING VS2421 28 Watts 2.1 Gaming Speaker System

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Keyboard

Mouse: Not required

WiFi Card: Not sure if I should get a USB one or a PCI one ( need help on this )

My plan is to have this system satisfy me till Windows 7 / directX 11 and the next gen cards come out and their drivers mature and become cheap enough. I am hoping this system will last me till then.

I need help on deciding on the fans and the proper case needed for this setup to make sure stuff doesnt get heated up too much.

I was thinking of GTX 285(2gb) SLI, but I think GTX 280 Tri SLI would be better since its just above that cost (need comments on this). I have heard that this Tri SLI may be an overkill, but like I said earlier, before I go for my next upgrade, I dont want to compromise on my 1900 X 1200 resolution or 8x AA for any game I play, let it be any upcoming game.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

May 26, 2009 10:32:21 AM

swap the 280's for 4890's, the 4890's perform about the same in DX10 but they have DX10.1 and unofficial DX11 support so you won't have to upgrade later.
May 26, 2009 11:07:32 AM

Bro,

Your parts selection are ok..However, you may want to skip the GTX 280 Tri SLI because of these 2 reasons: First, the 280's are made of the 65nm process and therefore produces alot of heat. Unless you watercool these bad boys, you'll overheat and crash within 20mins of playing CRYSIS engined games (CRYSIS, WARHEAD, CRYSIS WARS) I should know coz I have a triple SLI GTX 280 made by XFX and factory OC'd to 670mhz. Secondly, you'll be needing a mandatory 1200watt PSU for a 3 way affair with these. I would rather go with two 2Gb EVGA GTX 285's FTW edition with 702mhz core in SLI. The combined 4GB video RAM should be more than enough for you to play CRYSIS at 1920 x 1200 on VERY HIGH or ENTHUSIAST settings with an average FPS of 42-45. If you want a 3rd, then by all means indulge but you'll be exceeding your budget.
Related resources
May 26, 2009 11:35:39 AM

@zipzoomflyhigh

err dude, I mentioned in my first line that i want to play "Crysis sort of games" not just Crysis. I mentioned that cos I just wanted to say that I want to be prepared for future games which will come out by the time I upgrade next.

@Voltes75

thanks a lot dude, thanks for pointing out about the heat issue.

I need some help regarding the selection of fans and sound card.
May 26, 2009 1:36:03 PM

About the wi-fi card... I have to purchase one as well and I've read tons of reviews on them. Most people prever PCI over USB.

This is the one I plan to purchase but as I haven't bought it or used it yet... I can't tell you anything about it.

ENCORE ENLWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Some people are talking about vista 64 driver issues on the CD but others say that you can get working drivers for it.

But one thing to consider is that you might be SLI-ing 3 cards which could make adding another add-on card difficult.

For fans... scythe are pretty popular but I've never tried them. I like antec fans myself but I've never been one to complain about a little bit of noise.

About sound cards... it depends. Asus Xonar DX and the Creative x-fi titanium's are both pretty popular. The xonar can emulate creative's EAX sounds but I don't know good it is. What I do know is that it sucks dealing with EAX sounds in windows 7/vista. I have an audigy 2 zs notebook that was amazing in xp but since I loaded the windows 7 RC I've become aware of how nerfed it has become. Long story short... when I get my new PC I'll be using the onboard sound until I can figure out which way I want to go.
!