Sign in with
Your question

Building vs. Buying

Last response: in Components
August 30, 2009 1:59:05 PM

I was recently going to buy a Dell System but the H2C cooling has been discontinue on the 730 models. (For Now) So I went to Alienware to look at their systems. I found one, I am interested in, but I use to build my own pcs, but I would like one with a good cooling system. (I have no experience in coolings system, like TEC or etc). I dont mind spending extra for better equipment. Here is the laydown from Alienware and I want to make it either better or the same. Thanks for any help.

[1] ALX® X58

Processor: Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Astral Blue
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Dual 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 3 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1 plus Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 1TB (2 x 500GB) SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 2 x 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Dual Drive Configuration - Drive 1: 20X Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW) w/ LightScribe
Drive 2:6x Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium High Definition 7.1 Audio

More about : building buying

August 30, 2009 2:15:28 PM

OK so what you basically want is a high end computer.Well Ja it's better to buy computer than to build one. Jeez though bud If I were you I would probably build my self two systems (So when friends come around you could have a LAN) that's just a suggestion.
August 30, 2009 4:23:34 PM

Thanks, I would like to build it myself, but I am looking into cooling it. Any suggestions?
Related resources
August 30, 2009 5:25:06 PM

That Alienware PC would be extremely fast, but also an extreme rip-off I imagine.

My advice is to build yourself. Since you're obviously looking at the best of the best i'll only suggest an i7-based system.

CPU: i7 920
MB: Asus P6T deluxe
RAM: 6Gb 1600Mhz DDR3
PSU: Corsair HX 1000W
GPU: ATI 4870x2 or SLI GTX285
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
Optical: LG BH08LS20 Blu-Ray
Case: Sliverstone Temjin 07WB
Cooling: Swiftech apogee GTZ, Laing DDC Ultra, Dual and quad rad (blackice, thermochill etc) GPU and MB blocks if needs be.
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX

That would be my ideal build. And I bet it comes in at a LOT cheaper than the Alienware machine. An SSD can be added if you want, as can full system lighting. The temijn is a much better case than the Alienware ones, and will look awesome with liquid cooling. No point in SLI 295's, nor the i7 975. DX11 is round the corner, and new cards will be released soon. A 4870x2 will run all games at 1900x1200, SLI 285's just allow more AA. Also no need for twin Blu-ray drives. The i7 920 (D0 stepping) will overclock to 4Ghz with liquid cooling, trouncing the Alienware OC.

I'm sure other people will have different suggestions, but you'll get a ridiculous system my way.

August 30, 2009 8:49:33 PM

+1 Build. Alienware is Dell now as you probably know. Not only because I despise Dell but you will be saving yourself a grip of money when building it yourself. Alienware is for millionaires and/or the uninformed. You have just been informed!
August 31, 2009 2:19:05 AM

I would build it because it will be cheaper and you can make it way more powerful then that alienware.
August 31, 2009 11:07:42 AM

I want to say Thanks for all of the information. One more question when I overclock to 4.0, do I really have to have a coolant system or can air suffice? Thanks again.
August 31, 2009 2:48:08 PM

C2Miller said:
I want to say Thanks for all of the information. One more question when I overclock to 4.0, do I really have to have a coolant system or can air suffice? Thanks again.

Air would suffice, but i7's run pretty hot, so you'd need an exceptional air cooler. I'd stop at 3.4/3.6 with air cooling, but go to 4.0 with liquid, but that's just me. i7's are so fast anyway that unless you're using it for CPU-limited tasks or want bragging rights 3.4 is plenty enough. Remember that these chips can process up to 8 simultaneous threads!

With your budget liquid cooling would be my choice, not only does it look really cool, but also the process of choosing, buying and installing components is really quite enjoyable, and greatly expands your knowledge of parts and components. Make sure to have a good read up on i7 overclocking (socket 1366) before trying it - although you're very unlikely to damage your chip, it does need to be done properly.
August 31, 2009 2:58:25 PM

C2Miller said:

Air would suffice, but i7's run pretty hot, so you'd need an exceptional air cooler. I'd stop at 3.4/3.6 with air cooling, but go to 4.0 with liquid, but that's just me. i7's are so fast anyway that unless you're using it for CPU-limited tasks or want bragging rights 3.4 is plenty enough. Remember that these chips can process up to 8 simultaneous threads!

With your budget liquid cooling would be my choice, not only does it look really cool, but also the process of choosing, buying and installing components is really quite enjoyable, and greatly expands your knowledge of parts and components. Make sure to have a good read up on i7 overclocking (socket 1366) before trying it - although you're very unlikely to damage your chip, it does need to be done properly.
August 31, 2009 3:24:55 PM

When you buy an Alienware it is due to a couple of reasons :

1. Youy are rich and very lazy to even think about building.
2. You prefer to spend that extra cash just so you can get the CASE.
3. You are a Dell freak and you have never spent your money elsewhere....
4. You are skeptical about building a pc from scratch and would rather have a 4 year warranty in case anything happens to the PC...

Of course there are more reasons but those are the main 4.....

Alienware makes great PC's hands down, but the price of what you pay vs. what you get is ridiculous.... IMO you will save almost 50% in cash if you build, even if you decide to watercool your hardware....

August 31, 2009 3:35:29 PM

home build all the way dude! so much cheaper and such a great feeling when you finish it and turn it on for the first time! :)  plus if you are home building, amazon have a good offer on at the minute, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-... they also offer an oem version of vista with a free upgrade to 7 when it is out,
!