Your question

Chances of cpu damage from psu failure?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2009 2:24:33 PM

Hey all,

Recently i was upgrading a pc for a friend, replacing the mobo cpu and ram. The old psu couldnt take the new power demand. As it started to die the computer would shut itself off mid way trough the operating system installation. I had never encountered a psu failure before, so i didnt really know what was happening.
Like an idiot i kept turning the pc back on untill eventually the mobo wouldnt post.

Now i am sending the parts back to the supplier, but im missing the little plastic box for the cpu so i cant really send it back. I plan to just send back the mobo and put this cpu into a new one.

So my question: is it likely that the cpu is broken? and im a a fool not to send it back?
Also just out of interest, could the ram have been damaged?

Thanks,
Phil W

More about : chances cpu damage psu failure

a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 2:31:11 PM

It's possible, but your probably ok. I've had psu's die on me before, and not once have any of the components been fried because of it.
August 30, 2009 9:00:26 PM

Well so far im only definite that the mobo is dead.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 30, 2009 9:21:17 PM

i flicked the voltage switch at the back of my psu once, it exploded and pissed out with chemical smoke,

ended up frying the cpu in the process,
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 9:29:35 PM

rodney007 said:
i flicked the voltage switch at the back of my psu once, it exploded and pissed out with chemical smoke,

ended up frying the cpu in the process,

Lol nice one rod. :)  You're lucky you didn't end up like that one guy who was burnt alive by his computer! (at least found dead [yes, from burns] next to a burnt up computer)

Anyways yes, it does happen. The better the quality the less likely it will take other components with it. My cousin's Emachines just might have had her PSU take her mobo and maybe her CPU as well. NO FUN!
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 9:31:18 PM

How did you test to mobo?
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 4:00:41 AM

Swapped.
August 31, 2009 9:38:10 AM

Well it just wont post, the keyboard lights dont flash, tried it with another psu. Im 99% sure its fried.

With my main pc im having a wierd problem at the mo which i think also is cpu related.

The cpu is a core 2 duo 3ghz (cant recall the product code).
Every so often my pc gets "judders" were litteraly the whole thing starts to freeze at a precise regular frequency (ever second). The hard-drive also clicks to this frequency. All the graphics and sound freeze to this frequency. The freezes only last a few miliseconds but its so reliably frequent that it makes the computer anoying to use. If you think of a metronome clicking: thats what the freezing is like.
I have to restart to get rid of it.
Anyone have any idea?
a c 173 à CPUs
August 31, 2009 1:13:01 PM

Phil, the CPU is probably OK. There's a pretty complex voltage regulator on the motherboard that takes the 12 volts from the PSU and drops it to the CPU vcore. It also does a pretty good job of insulating the CPU from the PSU.

Your PC: what kind of PSU? If you put a POS PSU in your computer, that could very well be your problem. I doubt if it is the CPU.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 1:27:09 PM

PhilW... I would put my money on hard drive... it sounds like a failing hard drive... your freeze is happening during hd access.. pretty much screams hard drive.. I would check the hard drive for problems...if you have a spare hd swap it out and see if it continues
August 31, 2009 1:30:55 PM

Hard Line said:
PhilW... I would put my money on hard drive... it sounds like a failing hard drive... your freeze is happening during hd access.. pretty much screams hard drive.. I would check the hard drive for problems...if you have a spare hd swap it out and see if it continues

I don't agree. If the mobo won't even POST the issue is greater than the HD. Remove the HD and you'll probably still have a computer that won't post.
August 31, 2009 1:31:25 PM

sportsfanboy said:
It's possible, but your probably ok. I've had psu's die on me before, and not once have any of the components been fried because of it.

I agree that it is possible, but no likely that the CPU is fried.
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 1:35:10 PM

I missed the motherboard not posting somehow.. could be mainboard and or psu as well. however my mainboard won't post with flash drive in a usb port.... and if the firmware on the hd has failed will cause that.. i read from the ops post then his pc freezes at regular intervals when it accessing the hard drive...in which case my first thought would be hard drive. I of course could be wrong as well . we can all be wrong lol
August 31, 2009 1:59:21 PM

Hard Line said:
my mainboard won't post with flash drive in a usb port....

I've seen that before with some Dells that won't post with a USB Printer (that has flash media readers on it). A very weird issue.
August 31, 2009 7:43:41 PM

For hard line and technologycoordinator: there are two problems in this post.
Ones with my comp (it judders sometimes) and one with a friends hardware that i fried.

Regarding my comp: i dont think its hard drive related as graphics and sound lock up aswell. Possibly psu. The psu i have is a pretty good 750 watt, 2 years old now. jsc what do you mean by pos?
September 1, 2009 11:17:36 PM

*** ing fright,, how often does a computer make a BANG sound then turn into a smoke machine...

but yeah computer guy changed mobo, but still not work, so changed cpu and worked fine,

duno if it helps, try swap cpu