Running Spinrite 6 on a 500gb external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbergstc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
As I write this, Spinrite 6 has been running 9-10-11 days on a WD 500gb external drive w/2 250gb partitions with tons of clipart, fonts and other saved items. Each partition is about half full.

I am unable to change the screen view as the keyboard is nonresponsive... which also means I cannot stop/pause the scan using the ESC key. I am sure the program is working because if I stop to watch the monitor, numbers change. The numbers I can see (the Change View window is in the middle of the screen) are Cylinder = 6128, Head = 212, Sector = 7. This morning those #s were 6128/211/63, so it's definitely doing something. I can also see "Disk 1, Item 1" which I'm guessing means that it's only on the first partition...

My questions are:

1. How much longer will it take to run? Just an educated guess would be appreciated.

2. How many Cylinders are there on a 500gb drive? This may give an idea as to the estimated completion time... I've read that the answer may be 60801 cylinders, 255 heads and 63 sectors. Is this correct or does it vary?

3. Can I disconnect the cables while it's running and not make the problems worse (dumb ?, but I don't think I'm prepared to wait for months for this scan to complete; although, I have read that it's possible to take that long)?

A brief history... When connecting the drive to my PC it would be recognized intermittently for seconds only. I removed the drive from the case and connected it via internal cables. I had a nearly identical WD drive installed so I simply disconnected it and plugged in the problematic one (all other drives, printers, etc, were disconnected). No go... didn't recognize it at all and since it's not as easy to unplug an internal drive I reconnected the drive to the case's power/usb connectors and tried again. Still off an on, but with no real success. In my search for a solution, I read about Spinrite and have been giving it a "spin" for the last 10 days or so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

TIA
Sbergstc

anwar559

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi,
I am in the similar situation. Is your drive fixed? My SpinRite 6.0 is really taking a very long time and no response.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Anwar

Status
Not open for further replies.