Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212+ - stock fan or upgrade?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2011 8:06:32 PM

Is the stock fan on the Hyper 212+ sufficient or is it worth investing in a better 120mm fan? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance!
a c 182 K Overclocking
April 9, 2011 9:28:49 PM

The stock R4 Blademaster is a good fan and may be louder then some people prefer.
It's definitely quieter then 99% of stock cpu heatsink fans though.
As far as noise goes it would fall in the middle of supplied fans with most aftermarket coolers.
Somewhere in the low to middle 30db range.
Only needs to be replaced if you're a stickler for quiet.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 10:14:56 AM

TBH, I've found the stock fan to be much quiter than my GFX card fan, so it's not bothering me. I also then added another 120mm fan, and it's quiet as hell as well (21dB I think @ 1800RPM). The fans I hear most are my case intake fans (due to fine air filters) and GFX fan (specially when under high load, the Cyclone cooler can make a shitload of noise).

If you are REALLY needing to get a different fan, I'm going to recommend the Cooler Master Excalibur. If you don't want to spend too much cash, the Turbine Master 1200RPM is a good choice, and if you have a really flat wallet you can get the Sickleflow. The Sickleflow is probably one of the nicest fans to look at in this range, but the Turbine Master has 16 removable blades for epic cleaning. The Excalibur just looks awesome. Period.

Oh yes, and the Sickleflow is rated at a superb 19dB, so it might be worth considering if you want to not know you have a PC.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 12:05:09 PM

If you keep the stock 212+ fans at 100%, it's a bit noisy, at least in my experience. I set the motherboard to lower the fan speed and increase it as necessary.

I don't think you need to replace the stock fan. If you want, get another similar model (CM Blademaster) and do a push-pull setup.
April 18, 2011 1:57:54 AM

the blademasters are solid fans very quiet and push an effective amount of air if controlled via PWM i wouldn't replace them unless you're having a big problem with temps then look at 2 of the high CFM loons (not very silent) or a san ace 1011 (not quiet as well)
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2011 8:06:43 AM

joelmartinez said:
the blademasters are solid fans very quiet and push an effective amount of air if controlled via PWM i wouldn't replace them unless you're having a big problem with temps then look at 2 of the high CFM loons (not very silent) or a san ace 1011 (not quiet as well)

This.

I'm using the two 120mm's in push/pull simply because I want to, and no matter how high I stress my CPU the fan speed simply won't increase, keeping the noise to a minimum. Bit of a waster though, as the 120mm side intake fan spins at 2100RPM 24/7, so he makes up for the lack of noise from the CPU. :/ 
April 19, 2011 3:41:18 PM

Best answer selected by src1425.
!