Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual boot main hard disk died

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 7:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

My dual boot main hard disk died, and a new hard disk was
installed. However, I am not able to make the system to
dual boot again. I can only install WinXP as single boot
on the main hard disk. All the original files are still on
the secondary disk. How can I convert my WinXP to dual
boot again?

I think previously both hard disks were formatted to
FAT32, but now the new main hard disk is formatted to
NTFS. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Sover
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:11:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

NTFS should see a FAT 32 partition but not the other way around. You
have to Install WinXP with both
drives connected. Xp will see the other OS and include it in it's
boot.ini file. What OS is on the second
hard drive?
"Sover" <soverwong@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1f00101c4564b$25203460$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> My dual boot main hard disk died, and a new hard disk was
> installed. However, I am not able to make the system to
> dual boot again. I can only install WinXP as single boot
> on the main hard disk. All the original files are still on
> the secondary disk. How can I convert my WinXP to dual
> boot again?
>
> I think previously both hard disks were formatted to
> FAT32, but now the new main hard disk is formatted to
> NTFS. Is this a problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sover
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 5:49:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.

I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was installed
first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.

Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due to
the formatting.

There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the secondary
hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register them
all again. (I have all licenced versions)

Thanks in advance,

Sover
Related resources
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 4:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You lost your bootloader and boot.ini files when your Win98SE disk failed.
Try using the Recovery Console and do a boot repair. If that doesnt work
then you could try a Repair Install. Leave the main disk disconnected.
Take a look at these sites for some help. You are primarily interested
in Fix Boot Fix Mbr and Bootcfg.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314058

Try this as a last resort because you will have to reinstall
most of your programs.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm


<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1eec401c456a3$8abebaf0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
> the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.
>
> I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was installed
> first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
> secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
> secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.
>
> Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
> installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due to
> the formatting.
>
> There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the secondary
> hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
> reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register them
> all again. (I have all licenced versions)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sover
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 8:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the hints. I viewed the MS page, and apparently
only an administrator can perform this task. Looks like I
have to take it to a computer shop with a MS admin.

Maybe I should forget my old main disk, and use the
replacement disk as the main one, just single boot. How do
I re-register the WindowsXP and OfficeXP, as my address
now is different to when I first registered them.

Thanks in advance,

Sover

>-----Original Message-----
> You lost your bootloader and boot.ini files when your
Win98SE disk failed.
>Try using the Recovery Console and do a boot repair. If
that doesnt work
>then you could try a Repair Install. Leave the main disk
disconnected.
> Take a look at these sites for some help. You are
primarily interested
>in Fix Boot Fix Mbr and Bootcfg.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;
[LN];314058
>
> Try this as a last resort because you will
have to reinstall
>most of your programs.
>
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
>
><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:1eec401c456a3$8abebaf0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
>> the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.
>>
>> I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was
installed
>> first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
>> secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
>> secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.
>>
>> Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
>> installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due
to
>> the formatting.
>>
>> There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the
secondary
>> hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
>> reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register
them
>> all again. (I have all licenced versions)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Sover
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 10:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. Adminstrator is one of the
User Groups of WinXP. To see how this works go to Control Panel>User
Groups. There you can change and add yourself to the Admin Group
if you are not already a part of. When using the Recovery Console if it
asks you for a Admin Password just
ignore it and proceed. Since you only changed your hard drive then just go
about Activating your XP and
XP office online. Should be no problem in doing so. Good luck.


<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1f76101c457e5$8c123fb0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Rich,
>
> Thanks for the hints. I viewed the MS page, and apparently
> only an administrator can perform this task. Looks like I
> have to take it to a computer shop with a MS admin.
>
> Maybe I should forget my old main disk, and use the
> replacement disk as the main one, just single boot. How do
> I re-register the WindowsXP and OfficeXP, as my address
> now is different to when I first registered them.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sover
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> > You lost your bootloader and boot.ini files when your
> Win98SE disk failed.
> >Try using the Recovery Console and do a boot repair. If
> that doesnt work
> >then you could try a Repair Install. Leave the main disk
> disconnected.
> > Take a look at these sites for some help. You are
> primarily interested
> >in Fix Boot Fix Mbr and Bootcfg.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;
> [LN];314058
> >
> > Try this as a last resort because you will
> have to reinstall
> >most of your programs.
> >
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> >
> >
> ><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >news:1eec401c456a3$8abebaf0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> >> The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
> >> the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.
> >>
> >> I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was
> installed
> >> first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
> >> secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
> >> secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.
> >>
> >> Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
> >> installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due
> to
> >> the formatting.
> >>
> >> There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the
> secondary
> >> hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
> >> reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register
> them
> >> all again. (I have all licenced versions)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> >> Sover
> >
> >
> >.
> >
!