Dual boot main hard disk died

My dual boot main hard disk died, and a new hard disk was
installed. However, I am not able to make the system to
dual boot again. I can only install WinXP as single boot
on the main hard disk. All the original files are still on
the secondary disk. How can I convert my WinXP to dual
boot again?

I think previously both hard disks were formatted to
FAT32, but now the new main hard disk is formatted to
NTFS. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance,

Sover
5 answers Last reply
More about dual boot main hard disk died

    NTFS should see a FAT 32 partition but not the other way around. You
    have to Install WinXP with both
    drives connected. Xp will see the other OS and include it in it's
    boot.ini file. What OS is on the second
    hard drive?
    "Sover" <soverwong@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My dual boot main hard disk died, and a new hard disk was
    > installed. However, I am not able to make the system to
    > dual boot again. I can only install WinXP as single boot
    > on the main hard disk. All the original files are still on
    > the secondary disk. How can I convert my WinXP to dual
    > boot again?
    >
    > I think previously both hard disks were formatted to
    > FAT32, but now the new main hard disk is formatted to
    > NTFS. Is this a problem?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sover

    The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
    the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.

    I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was installed
    first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
    secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
    secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.

    Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
    installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due to
    the formatting.

    There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the secondary
    hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
    reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register them
    all again. (I have all licenced versions)

    Thanks in advance,

    Sover

    You lost your bootloader and boot.ini files when your Win98SE disk failed.
    Try using the Recovery Console and do a boot repair. If that doesnt work
    then you could try a Repair Install. Leave the main disk disconnected.
    Take a look at these sites for some help. You are primarily interested
    in Fix Boot Fix Mbr and Bootcfg.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314058

    Try this as a last resort because you will have to reinstall
    most of your programs.

    > The main hard disk that died had Windows98SE on it, and
    > the secondary hard disk has WindowsXP on it.
    >
    > I think when the computer was made, Win98SE was installed
    > first, on the main disk, then followed WinXP on the
    > secondary disk. Now that my main disk has died, the
    > secondary disk with WinXP won't boot either.
    >
    > Currently, the main disk has WinXP. I am thinking of
    > installing Win98SE on it, but I guess it won't work due to
    > the formatting.
    >
    > There must be some way I can reboot WinXP on the secondary
    > hard disk, as all the original files are there. I could
    > reload WinXP, OfficeXP etc but I need to re-register them
    > all again. (I have all licenced versions)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sover

    Hi Rich,

    Thanks for the hints. I viewed the MS page, and apparently
    only an administrator can perform this task. Looks like I
    have to take it to a computer shop with a MS admin.

    Maybe I should forget my old main disk, and use the
    replacement disk as the main one, just single boot. How do
    I re-register the WindowsXP and OfficeXP, as my address
    now is different to when I first registered them.

    Thanks in advance,

    Sover

    Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. Adminstrator is one of the
    User Groups of WinXP. To see how this works go to Control Panel>User
    Groups. There you can change and add yourself to the Admin Group
    if you are not already a part of. When using the Recovery Console if it
    asks you for a Admin Password just
    ignore it and proceed. Since you only changed your hard drive then just go
    about Activating your XP and
    XP office online. Should be no problem in doing so. Good luck.

    > Hi Rich,
    >
    > Thanks for the hints. I viewed the MS page, and apparently
    > only an administrator can perform this task. Looks like I
    > have to take it to a computer shop with a MS admin.
    >
    > Maybe I should forget my old main disk, and use the
    > replacement disk as the main one, just single boot. How do
    > I re-register the WindowsXP and OfficeXP, as my address
    > now is different to when I first registered them.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Sover

Configuration Dual Boot Hard Drives Windows XP