Sign in with
Your question

Partition Table Loss - RAID 0 ... 2nd time in 5 months

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2011 1:37:03 AM

I have a home built system.
CPU: Intel 980X
MoBo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
System Drive: 2x Crucial C300 RealSSD, RAID 0 (Marvel RAID Controller)
Data Drives: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black, RAID 0 (Intel Matrix Storage RAID Controller)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

Odd Behavior: the data drive (4 TB RAID 0) performs fine, once it has been accessed. Upon initial access, it is extremely slow (45 seconds to 2 minutes to access the first file... after that it is fine). It seems as though the drive goes into some kind of *sleep* mode, and needs to be awaken.

Problem:
This has happened twice!!! Each time I go away for a few days (several weeks the first time, about 1 week the second), I come back, run widows system update... then boom, D:\ shows no data, recommends format.

BIOS shows no issues, raid is fine and drives are healthy. Just that the OS doesn't recognize any data on the D:\ raid array.

I have read here and there that Windows 7 has problems with RAID sizes that are large (my RAID is 4TB). Currently the drives are formatted with NTFS... I have recently been made aware that I should in the future use GPT (Global Partition Table) for drives [or RAIDs] greater than 2TB.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help / suggestions!!!

very respectfully,
G.ian
January 27, 2011 3:33:29 AM

Gian124 said:
I have a home built system.
CPU: Intel 980X
MoBo: Asus Rampage III Extreme
System Drive: 2x Crucial C300 RealSSD, RAID 0 (Marvel RAID Controller)
Data Drives: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black, RAID 0 (Intel Matrix Storage RAID Controller)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

Odd Behavior: the data drive (4 TB RAID 0) performs fine, once it has been accessed. Upon initial access, it is extremely slow (45 seconds to 2 minutes to access the first file... after that it is fine). It seems as though the drive goes into some kind of *sleep* mode, and needs to be awaken.

Problem:
This has happened twice!!! Each time I go away for a few days (several weeks the first time, about 1 week the second), I come back, run widows system update... then boom, D:\ shows no data, recommends format.

BIOS shows no issues, raid is fine and drives are healthy. Just that the OS doesn't recognize any data on the D:\ raid array.

I have read here and there that Windows 7 has problems with RAID sizes that are large (my RAID is 4TB). Currently the drives are formatted with NTFS... I have recently been made aware that I should in the future use GPT (Global Partition Table) for drives [or RAIDs] greater than 2TB.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help / suggestions!!!

very respectfully,
G.ian

hi gian124,
gui disk is pretty a good choice for large hard drive support. if you can make sure your raid partition table loss, try to fix your partition table. would you please make sure which part of your partition table lost first?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 27, 2011 2:33:48 PM

KK-moreen said:
hi gian124,
gui disk is pretty a good choice for large hard drive support. if you can make sure your raid partition table loss, try to fix your partition table. would you please make sure which part of your partition table lost first?

Well, I am not quite sure that it was my partition table which is lost (that is my assumption)... basically the drive now shows as unformatted.
m
l
January 27, 2011 2:36:58 PM

Emerald said:
would it be possible that it is due to the regular Caviar Black drives not supporting TLER?

http://features.techworld.com/storage/1019/what-is-time...

That article is certainly an interesting read! I am not quite sure that was the cause of both data loss issues, but the delay issue lends itself toward some of the symptoms I saw.

The odd thing is the drive runs perfectly fine after windows explorer ran some sort of cache / scan on the RAID to establish what files are there. It is just the initial attempt at reading the drive that was slow. Additionally, after boot-up, the issue isn't there... only after the drive is idle for a little while, which seemed like some kind of software-induced sleep mode.
m
l
January 27, 2011 9:14:47 PM

As a multiple RAID 0 fail veteran, I'm not sure I'd blame the drives per se, despite the issues involving TLER.

Despite it's WIDESPREAD usage and support, I remain unconvinced that mounting any kind of RAID, least of all a RAID 0, on the Intel (any mobo) controller is a good idea.

I'd just as soon blame the controller for all of my woes involving the array - said another way, your array is as good as your controller.

I imagined if you had a dedicated RAID controller card, you wouldn't have any nonsense involving the sleep-mode thing, which does seem to be the software messing with you.
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:33:20 PM

Gian124 said:
Well, I am not quite sure that it was my partition table which is lost (that is my assumption)... basically the drive now shows as unformatted.

hi gian124,
you said it shows unformatted, would you please check whether it shows The disk in drive x is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?
if it is this, i think it has turned to raw state, and your data might have been lost. what is emergent to recover your files.
i googled recover raw drive, found an article that may help u:recover raw drive
by the way, i would like to say, especially for businesses, backups of your files are the top thing
good luck
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:39:41 PM

KK-moreen said:
hi gian124,
you said it shows unformatted, would you please check whether it shows The disk in drive x is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?
if it is this, i think it has turned to raw state, and your data might have been lost. what is emergent to recover your files.
i googled recover raw drive, found an article that may help u:recover raw drive
by the way, i would like to say, especially for businesses, backups of your files are the top thing
good luck

It is indeed in RAW format due to the loss of the boot record.

Following Sandiforfun2's suggestion:
To restore files from a damaged partition table disk, you may try some recovery tool http://www.icare-recovery.com

I am recovering what I can.

As far as Backup, I have a LaCie 2TB eSATA drive ... I am attempting to recover the work I lost since my last backup.

The larger issue is that this is the 2nd time it has happened, which is indicative of either a hardware flaw or a configuration flaw on my part. Once I get whatever data I can recovered, the important thing for me at this point is avoiding this flaw in the future because it is time consuming. From what has been suggested, the Intel Matrix Storage controller is the problem and should not be relied upon for RAID 0.
m
l
!