Noob to overclocking...

Cored17

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So I just built my first pc. Well i salvaged some parts of my old one but I bought a new motherboard and CPU. I bought a ASROCK 770DE+ AM3 motherboard, and a Athlon II x3 450 CPU.. My motherboard says it supports overclocking and it even comes with pre-installed tools for it but im a noob and have not touched them for fear i would do something wrong. But i read somewhere that you can unlock a 4th core for my CPU so I was wondering how I go about it?

So i dont sound like a idiot i know having four cores isnt going to really make my comp faster if im not multitasking, but how to i speed up my CPU to overclock it safely? squeeze a little more out of it so to speak.

Solution

:hello: Welcome to Toms.....

1.}Unlocking the 4th core would...

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

:hello: Welcome to Toms.....

1.}Unlocking the 4th core would be done under a BIOS setting on that board I believe it is called ACC..Keep in mind that the 4th core could be faulty.
2.}OCing that CPU will have to be done through the FSB meaning that you will be OCing the mem. so with this in mind you have to in some instances you will have to underclock the mem before OCing through the BCLK..also depending on the amount of extra clock speed you put to the CPU you may have to overvolt it slightly to maintain stability.
3.}My biggest and best investment that I have made in regards to speed was to purchase a SSD

Solution