Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New SSD help

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2011 11:51:22 PM

Hey guys I just bought an ocz agility 2 today and am wondering how to setup windows on it.

I've installed windows 7 many time's so I'm not new to that however what im wondering about is trim and ahci

I want trim enabled and my ssd supports it seems stupid to not enable it, but how do you enable it is it done automatically?

Also for ahci mode is it worth it? I don't even know what it is or does but it seems like alot if people use it with ssds. I know you need to set your drive to ahci in bios then unstall windows or just modify the registry once installed.

So how do I enable trim and is ahci worth it?

More about : ssd

a b G Storage
January 27, 2011 5:08:32 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Storage by Buwish
m
l
January 27, 2011 12:55:43 PM

Alright, now I've confused the hell out of myself...

I have the ability to turn all my sata port's to AHCI, then I can switch sata 5 and 6 to IDE.

So I will put my 2 optical drives on port 5 and 6 and then switch port 1 - 4 to AHCI, most of the info i've found favors AHCI mode to IDE for performance.

Now is trim even supported in AHCI? I read something that suggested trim is only supported in IDE mode?
m
l
Related resources
a c 289 G Storage
January 27, 2011 3:16:10 PM

TRIM is only supported in AHCI mode. You don't sound confused to me.

I was just wondering why so many Win7 installation questions show up in the Storage section; I would think that they are Win7 questions. Now I know why - buwish is moving them all here to confuse me.
m
l
January 27, 2011 3:31:23 PM

Yea, I figured it fit better in the win 7 section, but who knows :S

The reason I confused myself was finding out about NCQ. I'm just going to forget about it, and only worry about trim.

Anyhow, I guess I'll enabled AHCI, then set port 5 and 6 to IDE for my optical drives. Will AHCI effect my hard drive at all? My SSD will have windows and some main applications my HDD will store all my data.

Also, I guess it's good to have my case's esata plugged into an AHCI port, as it's hotswappable?

So, enable AHCI, install windows 7, then use the command prompt to check/enable trim.
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 G Storage
January 27, 2011 3:46:52 PM

Correct...

AHCI will not effect your std Hard Drives and AHCI enables hot swap capabilities in Windows. Here is a guide I put together for the Computing.Net section of Tom's that you might find useful.

Solid State Drive (SSD) Tweaks for Windows 7
January 27, 2011 4:20:05 PM

Great man, thats an awesome resource.

As for the page file, I have 4GB of ram, I assume I'll be fine? I've never seen my ram usage at 100%

The things I'm wondering about are:
Prefetch, Superfetch and Windows Search

Why should we disable these 3 things? Pretty well all other tweaks are explained why they should be disabled etc, but these 3 aren't really explained.

Are they just to do with caching?
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
January 27, 2011 7:04:25 PM

HaGGardSmurf said:
The things I'm wondering about are:
Prefetch, Superfetch and Windows Search

• Prefetch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_prefetch
  • Superfetch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_I/O_technolo...
  • Windows Search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Search

Basically a general overview is, all three of these functions create an "inventory list" of actions taken previously, so when the User repeats it, it is quicker to process the action since it is already stored. With the access times of a SSD being in the 0.1ms range, there is no need for these features. With hard drives you can be looking at 10ms + access times, so it would be beneficial to cut the response time down.
    m
    l
    a b G Storage
    January 27, 2011 7:54:30 PM

If you have an Intel based motherboard, install the Intel RST "F6" drivers during Windows 7 install. just search for "intel rst drivers".
    m
    l
    a c 289 G Storage
    January 27, 2011 7:54:56 PM

With all due respect to Tecmo34, I have to disagree on Windows Search. If you index on contents as well as file names, then searching by content will be faster than reading everything on the drive. Or am I wrong about this?
    m
    l
    January 27, 2011 8:25:05 PM

Well I've done all the tweaks except the windows search upon WyomingKnot's adivce.

i've yet to try "Disable Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flusing" My SSD is an OCZ Agility 2, and I am on an AMD build, I assume I'd get a performance increase (I'll test in a little while)
    m
    l
    a c 143 G Storage
    January 27, 2011 9:04:25 PM

HaGGardSmurf said:
    Well I've done all the tweaks except the windows search upon WyomingKnot's adivce.

i've yet to try "Disable Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flusing" My SSD is an OCZ Agility 2, and I am on an AMD build, I assume I'd get a performance increase (I'll test in a little while)

Understandable on Windows Search :D  There are mixed feelings by many on the benefit or not.

You should see a performance increase on the OCZ by disabling.
    m
    l
    January 28, 2011 7:05:52 PM

I disabled write-cache buffer flushing, dont see a huge performance difference but this ssd is blazing fast anyhow :) 

I have another question which is off topic, but still about storage...

I have a 100MB partition on my 750gb HDD (because I had windows installed on it for a while) So in My Computer I see 3 storage drives when I only want to see 2. Can I use disk management and delete the 100mb partition? I only want the 750gb HDD for storage, dont want to have windows on it, but I have about 300GB of data on it, so reformatting the HDD is kind of out the window as I'd loose all my data.

I figure I'll just delete the 100mb partition, expand the other partition, then just make a folder G:\Stuff for all my main storage.

I installed windows 7 on my SSD with the HDD unplugged so I didnt have any boot info stored on the wrong drive, I assume thats what the 100mb is for? Some kind of boot info or system info...
    m
    l
    a b G Storage
    January 28, 2011 10:09:38 PM

Exactly right, the 100MB partition on the old drive is the Windows 7 System partition. Deleting that partition and expanding the other partition should be no trouble since you are no longer running Windows from that drive.
    m
    l
    January 29, 2011 12:38:47 AM

Well I deleted the partition, but when I went to expand the partition it wanted to change the partition to dynamic or something, I wasnt paying attention.

Anyhow long story short, I was forced to format the drive, and ended up losing my ~300GB of tv, movies, music etc..

Whatever, I was planning on formatting that drive anyhow, but without losing my data :( 

Too bad my ISP has strict cap's, it's going to take me a couple months to get all my stuff back.
    m
    l
    January 29, 2011 12:38:57 AM

Best answer selected by haggardsmurf.
    m
    l
    !