Jumping ship with new i5 build with DP55KG board

So I am going to upgrade my AMD X2 5200 to a core i5 750 and Intel DP55KG motherboard (which after research it seems to work the best with Turboboost). I am just wondering which memory to use... I did read toms article on the p55 budget memory but for that cost I might as well spend the money on better faster memory.

I know that you can safely increase the voltage of the memory to 1.65 before you run into any stability issues however I am not sure if I want to go that high for memory. Would I be better off getting lower voltage RAM and overclocking it or just getting the 1.65v memory and having the system downclock it.

The two modules in question are...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260 Corsair DDR3 PC1600 4GB 1.65v

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251 Corsair DDR PC1333 4GB 1.5v

I don't really plan on overclocking it until I can afford a better CPU cooling setup and eventually get a i7 860 later on down the road. My main worries is that I buy something that is not compatable or run it too high and end up burning something up then I am stuck RMAing it (which I hate waiting for).

I've used the corsair 1600 in my fiance's Phenom II 955 BE rig and had pretty good success with it.
1 answer Last reply
More about jumping ship build dp55kg board
  1. I'm not sure it's fair anymore to define the voltages and clock speeds as overvolted or undervolted.
    Manufacturers sell a chip and on it they program into the unused bits a speed and the voltage neccessary to reach that speed.
    The standard voltage for a chip specification is determined by a neutral agency to assure compatabilty between competing companies and not drive you crazy.
    Once the speed of a chip specification exceeds that of the original model some minor adjustments, such as voltage, must be expected.
    In your example above its completly possible the 2 chips are manufactured identically and after binning (hand picking and testing) the ones capable of higher speed with minimal volt increase are offered as more capable. While the slower ones will accept 1.65 volts as well there are typically not able to match timings of the ones which appeared superior during testing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Intel i5 Product