CPU getting really low temps.

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
So i just recently purchased computer. I built it installed windows and everything. So far its running great, i was just wondering if you guys could give me your option on my CPU temps

CPU- AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz

HEATSINK- Spire Thermax Eclipse II

I have the CPU running at 3.0GHz as advertised (I turned off the "green power saving" feature, now it always runs at 3.0GHz). I would like to overclock it but am unsure as to how to do so. I am using CORE TEMP for tempreture readings, and the tempreture of my CPU is 13-15 Celsius constantly highest i'v ever seen it is 19 Celsius. Am I really getting these low temps or, is it a fault with the program i'm using?

Many thanks,
Edvin

The Spire Thermax is a really good cooler but it's just not possible for the CPU to be colder than the ambient(room)temp.Probably the sensors are wrongly calibraited.Even the best air coolers are always at least 5c above ambeint temps.When you stress the CPU what are the temps like then?

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I have not stressed the cpu at all. I just haven't had the time, and why isn't it possible? its in the basement of the house. How can i tell if the sensors are calibrated wrong? What do you recommend i do to stress it?

Air cooling is using the air around it to cool the CPU.If the ambient temp to cool the CPU with is is 60f then it's just not possbile to cool any lower than 60f.If it's in the basement than it is possible the temps could be that low but i'm having a hard time believeing it.Maybe you just don't know what the actual temp is in the basement.
If it really is that cold then by all means you can probably obatin a high O.C. depending on limiations of your processor.All processors are not the same even tho their the same model they all have different limiations on how far they can be pushed.

If you want to start O.C.ing your going to need a temp monitoring program(which you have,HWMonitor)and a stress testing program like Prime95.Then you should go check out some of O.C.ing guides in the Overclocking section.

Do you know if your CPU is a Black Edtion?I'm pretty sure it's not but i could be mistaken.

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I do not believe it is D: I was strapped for cash and bought the best cpu at that price point. What do you think a reasonable over-clock would be if the temps really are 15 Celsius. Well upstairs its like 70 but i'm not exactly sure about the downstairs.. Well the fans on the heatsink both run at 2325 RPM , and the intake fan runs at 1312 RPM. All i know is that all the CPU temp monitoring things i'v tried give back 15 Celcius. The motherboard itself when i go into bios reads back at 17 Celsius.

well, i'm running it now on torture blend test. The highest temp its gotten to so far (30 min) is 24 Celsius.

You should try stressing it before you go into O.C.ing to see what types of temps you'll get under load.Download Prime95 and run a maximum heat test.To stop the test go to File and select stop test or else it will keep going if you try to X out.

I'm not very familair with O.C.ing without a unlocked multiplier(black edition)but i know it's a lot more delicate.When you use the FSB to O.C. it will O.C. the RAM,NB etc.So you really need to read up on that type of O.C.ing to make it work.

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
ok, when i ran the blend it went from 15C to 25C. when i ran the maximum one for about 12 min it went from 15C to 24C. I do think that my temperature scales are correct though, the cooler is rated number 1 on frosty tech.

Yah i guess those temps are correct.The Spire Thermax is a great cooler but being in the basement realy help too.
So now you need to research what the max temp is for that processor and the voltages etc etc.Now you can start O.C.ing.Just make sure you do your research before you start messing with things cause you could fry it if you don't know what your doing.

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
you should know the farther you are away from the tj max the less accurate your temp readings it will show below your ambient but that isn't actually physically possible (due to the rules of thermodynamics) good temps i'd go for 3.7ghz+ yeah!

If you are looking at the core temps I have found them to be inaccurate, the computer I am am typing this on says 11C when the room temp is around 20C but in Hardware monitor it give a CPUTIN temp which reports 26C which I think is more accurate. Do you get both core temps and a CPU temp from the motherboard sensor? (BTW I am using an Athlon x3)

mk-ultra

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

I get

Temperatures:
TMPIN0 17C
TMPIN1 24C
TMPIN2 94C

and for the CPU temps i get

All from CPUID Hardware Monitor