CPU getting really low temps.

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Computer
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2011 1:04:21 AM

So i just recently purchased computer. I built it installed windows and everything. So far its running great, i was just wondering if you guys could give me your option on my CPU temps

CPU- AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz

HEATSINK- Spire Thermax Eclipse II

I have the CPU running at 3.0GHz as advertised (I turned off the "green power saving" feature, now it always runs at 3.0GHz). I would like to overclock it but am unsure as to how to do so. I am using CORE TEMP for tempreture readings, and the tempreture of my CPU is 13-15 Celsius constantly highest i'v ever seen it is 19 Celsius. Am I really getting these low temps or, is it a fault with the program i'm using?

Many thanks,
Edvin

More about : cpu low temps

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 1:31:33 AM

Try downloading HWMonitor.Look at the CPU temps and see if it's the same as CoreTemp's.
Don't think those temps are right but they could be.15c is 60f.Usually the CPU is never colder than the room temp.
What is the room temp?
m
l
April 10, 2011 1:38:52 AM

around 65-75. sounds good. So do you think its highly unlikly that i'm getting that low?
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 1:42:13 AM

Just installed it. It also says 14 Celsius :D . So does that mean i could overclock my AMD Althon 640 insanely?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 2:10:45 AM

The Spire Thermax is a really good cooler but it's just not possible for the CPU to be colder than the ambient(room)temp.Probably the sensors are wrongly calibraited.Even the best air coolers are always at least 5c above ambeint temps.When you stress the CPU what are the temps like then?
m
l
April 10, 2011 2:16:07 AM

I have not stressed the cpu at all. I just haven't had the time, and why isn't it possible? its in the basement of the house. How can i tell if the sensors are calibrated wrong? What do you recommend i do to stress it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 2:55:01 AM

Air cooling is using the air around it to cool the CPU.If the ambient temp to cool the CPU with is is 60f then it's just not possbile to cool any lower than 60f.If it's in the basement than it is possible the temps could be that low but i'm having a hard time believeing it.Maybe you just don't know what the actual temp is in the basement.
If it really is that cold then by all means you can probably obatin a high O.C. depending on limiations of your processor.All processors are not the same even tho their the same model they all have different limiations on how far they can be pushed.

If you want to start O.C.ing your going to need a temp monitoring program(which you have,HWMonitor)and a stress testing program like Prime95.Then you should go check out some of O.C.ing guides in the Overclocking section.

Do you know if your CPU is a Black Edtion?I'm pretty sure it's not but i could be mistaken.
m
l
April 10, 2011 3:06:33 AM

I do not believe it is D: I was strapped for cash and bought the best cpu at that price point. What do you think a reasonable over-clock would be if the temps really are 15 Celsius. Well upstairs its like 70 but i'm not exactly sure about the downstairs.. Well the fans on the heatsink both run at 2325 RPM , and the intake fan runs at 1312 RPM. All i know is that all the CPU temp monitoring things i'v tried give back 15 Celcius. The motherboard itself when i go into bios reads back at 17 Celsius.

well, i'm running it now on torture blend test. The highest temp its gotten to so far (30 min) is 24 Celsius.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 4:24:52 AM

You should try stressing it before you go into O.C.ing to see what types of temps you'll get under load.Download Prime95 and run a maximum heat test.To stop the test go to File and select stop test or else it will keep going if you try to X out.

I'm not very familair with O.C.ing without a unlocked multiplier(black edition)but i know it's a lot more delicate.When you use the FSB to O.C. it will O.C. the RAM,NB etc.So you really need to read up on that type of O.C.ing to make it work.
m
l
April 10, 2011 4:31:22 AM

IT actually went down to 23 Celsius. I did the maximum heat one....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 4:34:50 AM

It went up to 23c from 15c? How long did you stress test for?Run it for about 15mins.
m
l
April 10, 2011 4:47:11 AM

ok, when i ran the blend it went from 15C to 25C. when i ran the maximum one for about 12 min it went from 15C to 24C. I do think that my temperature scales are correct though, the cooler is rated number 1 on frosty tech.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 5:10:56 AM

Yah i guess those temps are correct.The Spire Thermax is a great cooler but being in the basement realy help too.
So now you need to research what the max temp is for that processor and the voltages etc etc.Now you can start O.C.ing.Just make sure you do your research before you start messing with things cause you could fry it if you don't know what your doing.
m
l
April 10, 2011 5:16:23 AM

Thanks :D . So the temp is normal and i shouldn't be alarmed
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 5:21:55 AM

The temps are normal for your situation.Usually normal temps are around 30c as idle.

Still i suggest getting some other opinions as it's always best.
m
l
April 10, 2011 5:24:30 AM

Where do suggest i should go for more opinions? so 15C ideal is amazing?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 5:38:04 AM

Yes it is.You can wait on here i'm sure someone will comment.
m
l
April 10, 2011 5:40:42 AM

oh okay :D , thanks for your help. i was worried that it might not be running how it was suppose to and thats why it was so low
m
l
April 10, 2011 5:55:57 AM

Ok so I overclocked it to 3.3 without raising the voltage. and the temp went up to 16C
m
l
April 21, 2011 4:15:03 AM

you should know the farther you are away from the tj max the less accurate your temp readings it will show below your ambient but that isn't actually physically possible (due to the rules of thermodynamics) good temps i'd go for 3.7ghz+ yeah!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2011 4:45:34 AM

Thats what I was trying to say.It's impossible to have a lower CPU temp than the ambient temp,it's just not possible on air.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 11:29:37 AM

If you are looking at the core temps I have found them to be inaccurate, the computer I am am typing this on says 11C when the room temp is around 20C but in Hardware monitor it give a CPUTIN temp which reports 26C which I think is more accurate. Do you get both core temps and a CPU temp from the motherboard sensor? (BTW I am using an Athlon x3)
m
l
April 22, 2011 12:09:49 PM

I'd be careful those temperatures are too low, its probably trying to lull you into a false sense of security. Try to remain calm and not act suspiciously
m
l
April 22, 2011 3:17:19 PM

simon12 said:
If you are looking at the core temps I have found them to be inaccurate, the computer I am am typing this on says 11C when the room temp is around 20C but in Hardware monitor it give a CPUTIN temp which reports 26C which I think is more accurate. Do you get both core temps and a CPU temp from the motherboard sensor? (BTW I am using an Athlon x3)

I get

Temperatures:
TMPIN0 17C
TMPIN1 24C
TMPIN2 94C

and for the CPU temps i get

All from CPUID Hardware Monitor
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 3:55:32 PM

94c?Can you indetifiy what that temp is?

Touch the NB and see if it's hot and do the same thing for the SB.
m
l
April 22, 2011 4:56:21 PM

I touched them both, the SB feels jsut a tad hotter. Neither are hot enough to hurt my finger though. Do you have an idea of what the 94C might be?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 5:04:15 PM

No.I have a problem with my mobo displaying a really high temp but thats only because I knocked out the sensor on accident.It is very likely that your mobo is dispalying the wrong and/or the sensor is defective on your mobo.But if a sensor is defective on your mobo then that might mean your CPU temps could be wrong too.
m
l
April 22, 2011 5:11:56 PM

I ordered brand new parts. How would i tell if the sensor is wrong?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 11:43:43 PM

Because it is displaying a temp that is extremely high and not possible.94c is right around 150f so you should actually just have to put ur hand in the case and you should see where it's coming from cause its so hot.But it isn't that hot so obviusly somethings broken,most likely the sensor.In order to fix that you gotta ge ta new mobo.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 2:14:38 AM

can you do a print screen shot? those are really low temps...
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 7:19:25 PM

mk-ultra said:
I get

Temperatures:
TMPIN0 17C
TMPIN1 24C
TMPIN2 94C

and for the CPU temps i get

All from CPUID Hardware Monitor

Run prime 95 for 15 minutes and let us know what these temps show I suspect TMPIN1 is the CPU and 2 is a faulty or non-existent sensor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 8:13:51 PM

Hes got HWMonitor.The CPU temps are dispalyed seperatly.All those TMPIN temps are the mobo temps.
m
l
April 23, 2011 9:13:41 PM

simon12 said:
Run prime 95 for 15 minutes and let us know what these temps show I suspect TMPIN1 is the CPU and 2 is a faulty or non-existent sensor.

I have run Prime 95 for 4 hours, and the highest temp i've been able to hit is 26C. Even without ANY fans running (no case fans or heatsink fans) my CPU reads as 19C.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 10:27:06 PM

What about the other temps?
m
l
April 24, 2011 12:40:00 AM

i didn't check those.
m
l
April 25, 2011 9:53:12 AM

I'm leaning heavily toward an incorrect sensor. a CPU temp of 15c = 59f, and the 13c you mentioned initially would be ~55.5f.

Basically this means the room your PC is in has to be under 55f, which even for a basement is VERY cold. As in You'd be wearing at the least heavy pants and a sweatshirt, if not a jacket, cold. You basically would have to have the windows open in an unheated basement with an outside temperature below freezing for at least a day to get the room that cold.

For reference, I'm in a basement with no heat, and an open window to a roughly 45f outdoor temperature, and the ambient is roughly 66f. My CPU's idle at roughly 29c (27c in the dead of winter when I can get my ambient down around 60f) Now I don't have quite as high end a cooler as you do, but I have a mid-range aftermarket, and my CPU's TDP is 65w vs your CPU's TDP of 95w.

You're 26c Prime run also leads me to believe something is off. I don't suppose you actually placed your finger on the CPU heat sync during that run? if your CPU was really only 26c, it shouldn't even feel warm to the touch.
m
l
April 25, 2011 5:27:11 PM

Yargnit said:
I'm leaning heavily toward an incorrect sensor. a CPU temp of 15c = 59f, and the 13c you mentioned initially would be ~55.5f.

Basically this means the room your PC is in has to be under 55f, which even for a basement is VERY cold. As in You'd be wearing at the least heavy pants and a sweatshirt, if not a jacket, cold. You basically would have to have the windows open in an unheated basement with an outside temperature below freezing for at least a day to get the room that cold.

For reference, I'm in a basement with no heat, and an open window to a roughly 45f outdoor temperature, and the ambient is roughly 66f. My CPU's idle at roughly 29c (27c in the dead of winter when I can get my ambient down around 60f) Now I don't have quite as high end a cooler as you do, but I have a mid-range aftermarket, and my CPU's TDP is 65w vs your CPU's TDP of 95w.

You're 26c Prime run also leads me to believe something is off. I don't suppose you actually placed your finger on the CPU heat sync during that run? if your CPU was really only 26c, it shouldn't even feel warm to the touch.

While runing Prime95, I touched the RAM, NB SB, CPU, heatsink, and harddrive. Everything was verry cool, and I noticed no overheating. The only thing that felt midly warm was the NB SB and heatsink. It felt cooler then if you put luke warm water in a cup and felt it.
m
l
July 25, 2011 12:41:23 PM

purple stank said:
Because it is displaying a temp that is extremely high and not possible.94c is right around 150f so you should actually just have to put ur hand in the case and you should see where it's coming from cause its so hot.But it isn't that hot so obviusly somethings broken,most likely the sensor.In order to fix that you gotta ge ta new mobo.

Actually, 94C is around 210F. -GreyFox
m
l
July 27, 2011 4:35:38 AM

GreyFox_007 said:
Actually, 94C is around 210F. -GreyFox

Its deffinatly not 210F in there. I touched my graphics card heatpipe when it was at 70C and i could feel the difference. Everything in my pc is lower then 70C.
m
l
July 28, 2011 2:22:53 AM

Well I would say that if your cpu temps at first seemed unreasonably low, and that faulty/non-existant 94c temp seems unreasonably high, then you have a faulty sensor or two. What is the make/model of your mother board?
m
l
July 28, 2011 9:06:03 PM

jrwizbang said:
Well I would say that if your cpu temps at first seemed unreasonably low, and that faulty/non-existant 94c temp seems unreasonably high, then you have a faulty sensor or two. What is the make/model of your mother board?

MSI NF750-G55
MODEL NO. MS-7578
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 9:07:51 PM

A long time ago I already said it was the motherboard.The sensors are defective or broken.
m
l
July 29, 2011 5:11:01 PM

Yeah. I would guess that it is the mother board. Depending on how long its been since you bought it and where you bought it from, i would recommend trying to RMA.
m
l
July 29, 2011 6:25:17 PM

Is it that serious of an issue? Would it be affecting my performance if those temp thingys were off?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 6:28:45 PM

No.They are sensors.All they do is report temps.
m
l
July 29, 2011 7:50:27 PM

Okay, I really don't want to be without a good computer for a a couple weeks. I might rma it if they send me a new one before i ship mine back.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:54:57 PM

It's not a big deal but RMA it if you feel it's nesseasry.

I've had a broken sensor for 6 months.
m
l
July 29, 2011 7:56:40 PM

I honestly didn't mind that much.. just a little cause even my 6870 is under 60C even when its on full load
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:58:58 PM

The temp are different for a GPU.The sensors are on the card itself not the mobo.

Just RMA the mobo.
m
l
July 29, 2011 8:01:20 PM

I know that, I was giving a comparison. I think I will thanks for the help guys.
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!