S pdif cable problems

Italionstallion888

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
yesterday we installed my HD video card into my computer. Everything went fine, hooked it up to the hd tv, video was perfect but the sound was something along the lines of morse code. We went into the computer and installed new updated drivers, messed with setting, but we can't get the sound to work.

We think we might have the jumpers on the s pdif cable incorrectly done. The mother board is a

win fast, nf4sk8aa

video card is a asus en9400gt

are we forgetting something? We found the manual for the mother board, it wasn't much help.

thanks, also if this is not the correct section, feel free to move to the correct one. I'm an newbie

tylerc161

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I've been trying to help ItalianStallion but I cant figure it out wither.

The motherboard doesnt have any built in HDMI, but he has a HDMI video card plugged into the PCI-E slot that we'd like to use. The video card is HDCP compatable, and in the instructions with the video card it says take the supplied cable and attach the 2 pin side into the video card and the 1x4 pin side into the motherboards audio out or soundcard audio; depending on the setup.

With his setup, the sound is onboard. I've found only one place on the motherboard that it looks like this plug could go into. The plug itself is a single row of 4 pins; the sequence is:
Blue wire, Black wire, closed hole, Open hole.

On his motherboard, there is a 2 by 5 set of pins labeled "audio". The sequence is:
pin, pin, pin, open, pin
pin, pin, pin, pin, pin

Now there's only ONE way that the supplied connector can plug into the motherboard via those pins due to the key slot. When we do that, all we get is crackling through the speakers when the pc is up and running. I've checked the options in the Realtek sound config and tried every different option for s/pdif offered such as "pass through mode", "off", etc; none of which made a difference.

I skimmed through the bios looking for some type of option, but I didnt see anything. Perhaps I overlooked it, but I'm pretty sure I didnt see anything.

What can we do to get the sound to come through the HDMI video card like its supposed to?

Would it be worth going and buying a cheap stand alone sound card so we dont have to fool with the motherboard audio source, or perhaps are there jumpers we need to add on the motherboard at the audio connector? I'm at a total loss of where to go next with this.