Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ssd with hdd help

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2011 7:40:24 AM

Hi,

I hope someone can help me out with this. I've never tried using two hard drives in a system before. I always just used one. This build is going to be pretty nice I think. Here is the problem I am finding. I want to use an ssd for my OS, and office and "programs." And, I want to use a 1TB hdd for storage of files, music, and whatever else doesn't need to be on the ssd. When I was reading about the motherboard, it started talking about RAID and it lost me. I don't want it to be raid. :pt1cable: 

Do I just plug both the hard drives in and load the OS to C...the ssd?
I was thinking about just plugging the ssd in, loading Windows, reboot, then go back and hook up the hdd.
MB has MARVELL controllers on SATA 6 & 7...should I just avoid them?

What I think I should do is hook up ssd to SATA 0, hdd to SATA 1. Then configure both to AHCI in the BIOS. Does that sound right?

Both hard drives are SATA III.

System looks like this.
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Intel i7-2600K
GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Windows 7

Please help,
Thanks

More about : ssd hdd

Best solution

January 27, 2011 12:17:01 PM

The way I did it was I hooked the SSD up by itself on SATA 0 (this way the system reserve files dont get placed on the HDD by accident and cause headaches later). Set the bios to AHCI use the install disk to format the drive because it will align the partition right, and install WIN7. Make sure you use the sata ports that are controlled by the intel chipset not the marvel. After windows is installed update to the latest Intel sata raid driver. http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3646.... I know you are not using raid but it is not just a raid driver. As for your HDD you can run it off of the marvell sata ports or the intel ports it doesnt matter although I have had more luck with my SSD running off of the intel and the HDD and CD/DVD burner running on the marvell. I am using a Gigabyte P55-UD4P.

Here is a good Windows 7 SSD tweak guide. Use it it will help prolong the life of the drive and increase the performance a bit.
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-...
January 28, 2011 4:03:57 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the help. That's what I'll do.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 11:36:58 AM

No problem. let me know how it goes.
m
l
February 3, 2011 8:59:24 PM

Hi, sorry I haven't been back in a few days. It worked well for me. Thanks a lot. I've been busy playing with every thing on this new computer. It was worth it!
m
l
February 3, 2011 8:59:40 PM

Best answer selected by groucho75.
m
l
!