Crossfire Question

Irish

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Sli is to nvidia what Crossfire is to ATI. They are sort of the same in that they use 2 cards to increase performance to X.

Now as for the cards. Crossfire requires 2 of the same chipsets. example 4870 1 gb with a 4870 1gb. Now with that said. You can allow for certain shortfalls for one card and the first card will change its internal settings to match it.. example 4870 1 gb with a 4870 512mb. The 1 gb card will drop its use to 512mb. If the clock speeds are different generally the higher faster card will drop its clock speeds to match the slower card.

There are some rare examples that the slower card will OC itself to match the faster card, but like I said rare.

So for your answer, YES any brand of 4870 card will work, just be aware of the underclocking factor.

GL
Irish

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yes crossfire don't care put simpliey, but be warned it will unclock the fastest card if the specs are different, I think the dark knight is overclocked, so if you put that with a stock, than you will find it will back off the clocks a bit unless you overclock your stock :p

SLI does care so you have to be VERY carefull with SLI

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008

the way I understood is that crossifre don't care what you stick together with in reason, but SLI does but will work as long as its the same chipset card, I have bene corrected by yourself on the specs of the card through

The BIOS's are different, if you were to reflash the BIOS of a 9800 (65nm) with that of an 8800GTS then it would most likely SLI as they are essentially the same card.