Sign in with
Your question

Starting up a laptop

Last response: in Windows XP
October 31, 2011 1:16:48 PM

Hello,
could I obtain a copy of Windows XP Home edition on my USB stick and try to boot my laptop that won't startup. I lost my original installation CD so I can not startup a laptop. Any suggestions?

More about : starting laptop

a b D Laptop
October 31, 2011 2:49:50 PM

dalmata said:
Hello,
could I obtain a copy of Windows XP Home edition on my USB stick and try to boot my laptop that won't startup. I lost my original installation CD so I can not startup a laptop. Any suggestions?

Yes you can (install & boot from usb) on DELL for sure. If not, there are solutions on the web, just Google it !

So, contact microsoft and they will verify the lefgiitimacy of your request to receive a copy of the OS. Doing it any other way is illegal ! :non: 
October 31, 2011 4:53:44 PM

Thks, you answered my question also three days ago about my laptop won't startup. I am still working on that. Guy from HP said that I have to go to the computer service if I had a message that indicated problems on hard disk 1. But I still think that I can boot my unit and than see what is going on. What do you think?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
October 31, 2011 5:05:19 PM

dalmata said:
Thks, you answered my question also three days ago about my laptop won't startup. I am still working on that. Guy from HP said that I have to go to the computer service if I had a message that indicated problems on hard disk 1. But I still think that I can boot my unit and than see what is going on. What do you think?

You haven't provided any useful information yet, other than it won't boot.
Computer make/model. Do you get blue screen, or any other message ?

Can you boot into safe mode ?

You may have corrupted OS, it may be memory, or boot sector damaged, and so on.
October 31, 2011 5:18:51 PM

sorry, in the middle of the work unit crashed and I had a black screen with coup0le of possibilities- from safe mode to start windods normally. But here everything stopped. None of the solutions did not work. After that i tried to run test but I could not do even that. Finally I succeded with checking a memory. And it said: Status=Failed-Replace Hard Disk 1. After pressed F8 i got a blue screen that stucked and stayed there forever. So I am thinking that I could maybe wake up the unit using new copy of windows on USB stick.
a c 206 D Laptop
October 31, 2011 5:26:38 PM

You need to buy a new hard-drive, and install Windows on that. You will not get support from Microsoft for this, it's an OEM Windows version from Dell, and is supported by Dell. To get a restore disk you need to go through them. Do no try to keep using a hard-drive once it has errors, especially after a test told you it needs to be replaced.

Take out the old drive, put in the new one, use the restore disks to install Widows. You can get an external enclosure for your old drive and copy your files back over.
a b D Laptop
October 31, 2011 5:48:11 PM

dalmata said:
sorry, in the middle of the work unit crashed and I had a black screen with coup0le of possibilities- from safe mode to start windods normally. But here everything stopped. None of the solutions did not work. After that i tried to run test but I could not do even that. Finally I succeded with checking a memory. And it said: Status=Failed-Replace Hard Disk 1. After pressed F8 i got a blue screen that stucked and stayed there forever. So I am thinking that I could maybe wake up the unit using new copy of windows on USB stick.

Blue screen has Stop Code on it. like 0x00000005d for example. Google the code to get idea of what it means. But sounds like your hard drive is shot.

How did you get memory test to run if normal boot gives you black screen and safe mode gives you blue screen ?
October 31, 2011 7:13:59 PM

It is stop:0x0000007B and I got it this way: while booting I pressed F8 and I got a possibility from safe mode to normal boot. I choosed safe mode and pressed again F8 (I mean hold, not only pressed) and then I got blu screen which do not move anymore with advises about checking for viruses and stuff like that. Ast the end there was a technical informationa with STOP.
a b D Laptop
October 31, 2011 7:43:28 PM

dalmata said:
It is stop:0x0000007B and I got it this way: while booting I pressed F8 and I got a possibility from safe mode to normal boot. I choosed safe mode and pressed again F8 (I mean hold, not only pressed) and then I got blu screen which do not move anymore with advises about checking for viruses and stuff like that. Ast the end there was a technical informationa with STOP.

Listen to Hang-the-9 response above.
Replace the drive and be done with it.
!