Sign in with
Your question

Will Noctua NH-D14 and Accelero Twin Turbo fit in my pc case?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2011 11:06:32 AM

Hello everyone and respect to forum leaders,

I recently overclocked my CPU to 3.42 GHZ and a drastic improvement in performance was seen, but it was not long until my PC ended up with high temperatures and forced me to turn it off. After that I used Air Conditioner to cool the components and then the temperatures were very low, but, the
problem was electricity bill.

Therefore, I am now planning to buy Noctua NH-D14 which I heard is a superb performer and a top of the line air cooler for CPU and even overclocking to 4 GHZ is easy. But, I want to know that will it fit in my CPU case and would my PSU be able to handle it. I have posted some screenshots below about my PC cabinet:

My cabinet (I BALL)

I also want to overclock my graphics card to gain maximum performance, its a 9800GT synergy edition by ZOTAC. I decided to pair it up with Accelero twin turbo, but is that cooler good enough for heavy overclocks and will it fit on my graphics card. here is my GPU:

any reply would be appreciated, just tell me if my cabinet can fit those things and would my PSU be able to handle.
also, if there are any cheaper deals regarding these products, please link me.

Noctua NH-D14: http://cgi.ebay.com/NOCTUA-NH-D14-6xHEATPIPES-CPU-COOLI...

Accelero twin turbo: http://cgi.ebay.com/Arctic-Cooling-VGA-Cooler-Accelero-...

MY PSU: http://www.kunhar.com/vipcabinets/smps04.html

MY PC:

AMD Phenom II x4 945 @ 3 GHZ (OCed to 3.42 GHZ)
Nvidia (Zotac) Geforce 9800gt synergy edition (to be OCed)
4 GB DDR-2 RAM
500GB HDD
ASUS M4A78-EM/1394

regards,
Prakhar Tripathi
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 2:20:18 PM

Seriously!
I would recommend you buy a new case first and foremost.
Airflow is your problem my friend, you have none.
Your temps will drastically improve just from buying a new case.
Source an Antec 300 or a CM HAF 912.
http://techshop.in/store/antec-three-hundred-tower-comp...
Even a cheaper Cooler Master Elite RC 430 will get you going if you add another fan.
http://techshop.in/store/cooler-master-elite-rc430kwn1-...
http://techshop.in/store/cooler-master-r4l2s122bgp-120m... - one for rear exhaust/ other for top exhaust
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
http://techshop.in/store/cooler-master-hyper-plus-rrb10...
Btw from your pics there's no way a D-14 will fit in your present case.
Even if it did it would be a waste without proper case airflow.
m
l
April 10, 2011 4:33:31 PM

ok, thanks, I will get to you
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2011 8:53:06 AM

i agree with davcon.

the silver arrow is about the same size as a Noctua NH-D14 and even that seems big for my NZXT Phantom Case.

Here is how it fits in my case, my case is big, and the CPU Fan makes it look small.

your back fan is probably is probably going to take forever to get the hot air out.
m
l
April 11, 2011 9:14:55 AM

I play with my case open, as far as I know there is not any problem regarding airflow, my pc, when not overclocked runs fine with descent temperatures and can play GTA 4 patch 7 maxed, crysis warhead very high with 2X AA and almost any game on amazingly high settings.

The problem is, now-a-days I started playing FSX, which with default scenery runs very well but when I use PMDG 747 or ORBX stuff, the frames drop dramatically, when I overclock the CPU game runs fine with these addons but temperatures don't let my happiness lye long.

as far as I know my pc case is of following dimensions:
16.1 x 6.9 x 16.7 inches (H x W x D), if possible please tell me if these are enough for noctua nh-d14 because I hadn't mentioned them in my previous post.
m
l
April 11, 2011 9:28:31 AM

Considering the lack of heatsinks on that motherboard take it easy with the overclocking...

As to CPU cooler go something more balanced with the el-cheapo quality of your PC...like a cheap Hyper 212+, which still performs well.

Also putting a Twin Turbo Pro on a 9800GT would be a complete waste of money.

You're flogging a dead horse, sorry to say.

For the amount you're planning to spend you'd be spending you'd be better off by a MILE by grabbing a 5770 for $90 (after rebate), a Hyper 212+ for $30, and an Antec 300 for $55 (and sell your 9800GT)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 11, 2011 10:04:04 AM

ATi RaDEoN said:
I play with my case open, as far as I know there is not any problem regarding airflow, my pc, when not overclocked runs fine with descent temperatures and can play GTA 4 patch 7 maxed, crysis warhead very high with 2X AA and almost any game on amazingly high settings.

The problem is, now-a-days I started playing FSX, which with default scenery runs very well but when I use PMDG 747 or ORBX stuff, the frames drop dramatically, when I overclock the CPU game runs fine with these addons but temperatures don't let my happiness lye long.

as far as I know my pc case is of following dimensions:
16.1 x 6.9 x 16.7 inches (H x W x D), if possible please tell me if these are enough for noctua nh-d14 because I hadn't mentioned them in my previous post.

Running a case with the side panel off clearly indicates the lack of proper airflow.
Btw buying an Antec 300 and CM 212+ is a far better investment then adding a D-14 to your existing set-up.
Which won't fit anyways the top mounted psu is too close.
Proper air-flow includes a case with at least one 120mm front intake.
A rear 120mm exhaust.
Ideally a top exhaust 120-200mm.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 10:36:14 AM

The case is not wide enough - 6.9 inches is not enough room for the cooler, the cpu, and the motherboard - the Noctua (and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus for that matter) would stick out the top. Also, The power supply is tight against the motherboard, and you would have a hard time installing the motherboard after the heat sink was attached.

I would recommend that you replace the video card also, but you should realize that your power supply is only 400 watts and does not have a PCIe connector that a 5770 would require. Given your desire to overclock, a new PSU should strongly be considered.

Not sure of your budget, but it will certainly be more than the cost of a Noctua. Sorry to beign you the bad news.
m
l
April 11, 2011 12:56:10 PM

from the posts, I think noctua is too big for my pc case, but if I remove the PSU from top and fix it at bottom of my case, just like that of trihedral, will it then fit?

apart from all that, I think I better look for some top of the line water cooling kit! any suggestions?
m
l
April 11, 2011 1:13:11 PM

Did you not read anything of what Davcon and I have written?

You would be dumb to spend 90$ on a CPU cooler (or more on watercooling) in that case!

Especially witth a cheap motherboard / ancient graphics card. sigh.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2011 5:09:05 PM

ATi Rad, permit me to attempt to explain Nerdbox's frustration: Water cooling will run you $250 to $350 US. For that price, you can get all the upgrades that all of us here have been recommending - a new case, power, video card and reasonable heat sink.

For that much money, all of the games you want to play will be smooth and fast with no problems. On top of that, you will have the best time playing with overclocking, a case which you will be happy to open up, and even happier when it is time for the upgrade after this.

So, if you let us help you, tell us how much you have to spend and where you would like to buy your parts, then we can come up with the best possible solution.
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:32:42 AM

"Considering the lack of heatsinks on that motherboard take it easy with the overclocking..,"

just tell me one thing, if I overclock my CPU to 4GHZ, will it damage the motherboard also or just the CPU. if yes, then please give the reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2011 1:53:21 AM

It probably will damage neither, because the heat will quickly shut the CPU down or the settings will be too unstable to post. If you run it as hot as you can, the CPU life should just be shortened. With your lack of airflow, however, your motherboard might run very hot also, in which case that might fail first.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 7:50:00 AM

what they are saying is,

by overclocking, your chips on your motherboard does not have heatsinks over them, so if you push them too hard now, they may not crash now, but they definitely will die sooner or later. Heat sinks on a motherboard really does tell a lot of the motherboards potential of overclocking.

Your RAM, Motherboard, Graphic Card & perhaps Power Supply is a bottleneck for your CPU. Oh, i also forgot Computer Air Flow.

Playing with the Side Panel off will let you fit the D14 in, and from my own experience, it shouldn't hit your ram, but then again, the D14 hits ram more than the Silver Arrow.

It should give you just about enough room for the ram.

I only use these high end air coolers because i have enough room and air flow.

Then again, it is up to you.

If you don't care about your motherboard/Ram/Power Supply dying faster, go for it.

It keeps my idle temps around here for my X6 1090T 3.2ghz

Probably can hit 4.2ghz fine without being scared of heat. If your chip can go that high >__<
m
l
April 12, 2011 10:24:18 AM

thank you guys for helping me, but unfortunately something went wrong today, I always use to clean my PC, but today I decided to clean my CPU also and I put a large amount of pressure on the back of my CPU and 1/3rd of pins are now bent and few broke. a cylindrical shaped battery or some part of circuit came out as my hand slipped and a tank shaped piece from graphics card also came out. My CPU, mobo and GPU are all messed now, nothing is working now, just my PC gives me a blank look.

so lets close this thread here but just tell me one thing, I spent 723.98 USD for this PC, but after calculating the price from ebay my PC should have been of approx 500 USD. I am cheated and it also ended dead.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 10:35:11 AM

^ Sorry to hear that, but you can't say it wasn't your fault.

That must suck to break a quad core cpu on accident, i had a quad and broke only 1 pin and it was already unstable, 2 and it died after 5 minutes from boot-up.

how were you able to break your gpu also? would of thought you'd be more aware after breaking a cpu already.
m
l
April 12, 2011 11:56:07 AM

yes it was my fault only, as for GPU, I don't know there are some transistors on the top, my hand slept and one of those broke(1RO) and also an IE1394_1 transistor broke from mobo. my pc is dead forever, now I think I should either sell it fooling a salesman or should keep in some loft or something.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 2:38:34 PM

well if i were you and had a soldering gun, find the pictures of the gpu on newegg, zoom in and see what transistor it used or find the old one then solder it back to its place.

Should work fine if you do good job. If you are new to soldering, i don't think you should even try this method.

But as for the CPU, nothing you can do about 1/3 bent pins. :[
m
l
!