Sign in with
Your question

Computer not responding

Last response: in CPUs
August 30, 2009 11:22:20 PM

Having some trouble with my 3 year old Dell.

I came home from work today to find that my computer wasn't responding. It was running but there's no video output or response from the power button. I unplugged it an let it it for a few minutes. When i plug the power cable back in the video card fan runs, and the lights turn on but it shouldn't turn on unless i hit the power switch on the front of the computer. Not sure what part of my computer died but I get the impression something did. I tried swapping the video cards but to no avail.

Thanks.

Computer is an XPS 410

E6600
4gb G.skill 800mhz
OEM hard drive
Asus 4850

More about : computer responding

August 30, 2009 11:37:21 PM

Also, hitting the power button does nothing. The only thing running is the video card fan from what I can tell.
September 3, 2009 1:04:46 AM

Anyone?
a b à CPUs
September 3, 2009 9:09:53 AM

No power-on self-test (POST)?

Power supply is the first thing to come to mind, without phycially inspecting the computer. Usually this is checked with a PSU meter or altenatively substitute a working PSU into the system and run.

If the PSU is ok (I doubt it, from what you say) or you have a good PSU to substitute, start with the basics:

Turn computer off at the PSU.
Disconnect all drives from power and data cables.
If you have on-board VGA and a video card, remove the video card as well.
Remove all ram modules and then replace one.

Now you should have only cpu, cooler, ram and motherboard with a working PSU. Plug back in a attempt to turn on.

See what you get.

If nothing now, remove the ram module and try another.

Still nothing, then you're down to the cpu and motherboard.
!