Sign in with
Your question

Overclock problem

Last response: in Overclocking
April 10, 2011 12:16:52 PM

I overclocked my Hd 5670 by changing the bios,games work fine but when i play a video on the internet or on a media player the screen turns black, the pc gets blocked and has to reboot.
The GPU is running on 850mhz and the VRAM on 1100, the voltage is set on 1.6v.
Its not the temperature because its at 33C.
Please help i dont know what is wrong.

More about : overclock problem

a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 1:57:31 PM

Some GPU's do not OC well...revert back to default settings....As far as temps go..That 33c you mention would have to be at idle...What are your temps with a load on the card? When OCing GPU clocks they do some weird things when they are not stable OC's...So, that said...you will have to run the GPU at stock or close to stock settings
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 2:16:22 PM

What procedure did you use to change the bios on your gpu ?
and how did you get the voltage that high ?
my 5850 only get 1.087v nowhere close to 1.6v
try undoing whatever you have done with the bios and go at the overclock with catalyst control center or a tool like msi overdrive or amd gpu clock tool
Related resources
April 10, 2011 2:20:16 PM

lowjack989 said:
Some GPU's do not OC well...revert back to default settings....As far as temps go..That 33c you mention would have to be at idle...What are your temps with a load on the card? When OCing GPU clocks they do some weird things when they are not stable OC's...So, that said...you will have to run the GPU at stock or close to stock settings

33 is idle and the maximum is 42 when playing games.
April 10, 2011 2:25:07 PM

grahamie said:
What procedure did you use to change the bios on your gpu ?
and how did you get the voltage that high ?
my 5850 only get 1.087v nowhere close to 1.6v
try undoing whatever you have done with the bios and go at the overclock with catalyst control center or a tool like msi overdrive or amd gpu clock tool

i used Radeon bios editor,i tried ATI Override and it has problems running games,but with the bios editor it has no problem with games and it malfunctions on videos.
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 2:54:18 PM

with rbe make sure your ram clocks are all the same in the corresponding want phase you will notice that certain wants highlight together i think its the non-power save mode you want and the ram settings should all be the same before you flash. but its been a while sorry i cant be more spasific maybe someone can weigh in on that for me
now when i was mucking about with my video cards i found this cool little trick for msi afterburner boot in to windows as admin locate the msiafterburner.cfg file open it with notepad and locate ( UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0 ) its just about at the botom of the window. Edit that line to be ( UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 ) 0 is closed 1 is open when that’s done log back into your user and open msi afterburner. In the setting menu you can unlock the voltage as well with this you can do all your overclocking without flashing the bios and voiding your warranty.
making this change to afterburner makes it a verry cool tool
i hope you backed up your original bios so you can flash back if you need an rma
April 11, 2011 5:56:38 PM

Ok il see what i can do, thanks for the information.
May 20, 2011 9:39:56 AM

I am also facing a problem of almost similar nature, what is the exact cause of it....??
!