Smoochydies

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Does anyone know the method behind Newegg's constant price changing and combo swapping?

Pisses me off when I'm ready to order something only to find out it went up $25, ie: the phenom II 955, currently $215 up from $190 with free shipping yesterday.

Also, it seems like the combos are getting worse by the minute.

I see more and more high-end parts being paired with crap that nobody wants.

I especially hate all the combos including Windows Vista. Let's be honest, Most people who use Newegg to build PC's are not dumb enough to pay for Vista. So why pair it with quality items instead of other good parts.

Newegg was sweet 1-2 years ago. Since then, they began to suck slightly. Still, they're better than any other website right now. Maybe they need some competition to get them back on track.

First, the pricing is automatic, done by a combination of the part's MSRP, demand, and whether there are any sales or combos.

Second, why would you say that people aren't dumb enough to pay for Vista? Vista is perfectly fine as an OS.

Smoochydies

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Ahh, I see

If Vista is so great then why do we need Windows 7?

Not to mention that Vista has been cracked since 2007. If you paid full price or anything close to it for Vista then you are either rich or dumb or both

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
So much for hating Vista. You know, you just make it sound like you're reluctant to change. It's been cracked, so what? I don't see your argument calling people using/buying Vista dumb or rich or both as valid.

randomizer

Champion
Now I know where that "did you pay for Vista" thread came from.

@JDJ: The correct analogy would be: "Look at that crap Mercedes, people have been stealing them since they came out, anyone who buys them must be either rich, dumb or both."

Almost hate to point out the blinding asininity of this post, but in this case: Are you aware that XP has already been cracked, and has been for most of the last decade? Or do you simply choose to ignore that? :pfff:

And, by the way: "Cracking" software is where copy protection, serial number, key, etc, have been removed for the purpose of pirating/distribution. That being the case, and XP having been cracked a long, long time ago, I hardly see where there is any relevance in your point.

Smoochydies

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Just to clarify, I am not a Vista hater, I am a Microsoft hater.

Are they really so poor that they need to charge us $100-$200 for an OS while Snow Leopard is only $30.

Ever wonder why Windows is the only pre-installed OS for all retail PC's...

It's because they have laws in place meant to screw the competition over. Working with the US Government has it's perks. Just ask Bill Gates, who buddy- Fuc#ed his was to the top.

LOL. Nice catch. Looks like they took it down.

I have only had one issue with Newegg in the years and thousands of dollars I spent with them. The issue I had was with a 42" TV I ordered, and the issue had more to do with their choice of using ATI Freight to ship it to my house, they only delivered from 10a-2pm in my area and only on weekdays, which left me with no option but to drive to the regional airport to pick my stuff up from the freight company, which was a 2 hour round trip.

Everything else with NewEgg has always been flawless, fast, and they're usually the low price. Recently I bought most of my build from NewEgg but I was able to save an extra $25 by getting my Q8200 from TigerDirect.

and to not void the EULA in snow leapard it HAS to be installed on apple hardware, which is generally more expensive (even though it is the same hardware we use for the most part), also why does price matter when all of these can be had for free if you are a pirate

@TechnologyCo i will have to remember that when i order my TV i guess

90% of all PC's are Windows based... That's why snow lep is 30.00$.... if it was the other way around a copy of Win XP would not be worth more than 25.00$...... this is common sense.... Bill Gates knows that he can jack up the pricing and we will still buy it since it is the ONLY solution we have ATM.....

As far as newegg's pricing, I don't see anything wrong with that.... It's up to you to buy when the price is low, if you miss out by waiting that is your bad..... For example : when the x2 550 came out it was 114.99$ with free shipping, a month later it went down to 99.99$ to lure in more buyers... Newegg saw that they were selling like hotcakes so they decided to up the price back up to 114.99$ and so forth....

And BTW : if you are willing to use a cracked version of windows why are you complaining in the first place? As far as I know Cracked = Free , it does not get any cheaper than that..... :non:

Newegg Rocks no matter what [:lectrocrew:6]

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10272259-56.html

"Even their chief software architect called (Snow Leopard) an upgrade of Leopard," (Microsoft Corporate Vice President Brad) Brooks said. "The way I look at it, it's a service pack and we don't charge for service packs."

I don't know enough about it to agree or disagree, but I do remember the quote.

Clearly

Firstly, the enhancements in "new releases" for Apple generally amount to what a Microsoft OS would receive as a (free) service pack. Kindly do not buy into Apple's marketing machine trying to convince you it's all new. Secondly, Apple make their money off of the Hardware, not software. Thirdly, the installation routine detects whether or not OSx is being installed on 'Official' Apple hardware. So enthusiasts can not build an Apple computer at all... Unless you CRACK the OS.

Really? I can buy a Linux PC from Dell, not that many people do - But is clearly is possible. And last I checked, Apple was doing a pretty nice business.

Acually, Bill Gates founded the company. He didn't take it over. No comment regarding Steve Ballmer.

Though - I did read somewhere on the Internet that Steve Sinofsky is really a second generation Alien/Human hybrid. And that his parents were the product of early genetic research on the bodies formerly located at Hangar 18. :pt1cable: :lol: THE PROOF IS THAT HE ALSO WORKS FOR US ARMY INTELLIGENCE

Look at how often Apple wants people to upgrade though...

There have been 7 versions in the past 8 years (compared to 3 new versions of Windows, counting 7). There hasn't been significantly more change though - the difference is that Windows doesn't charge for service packs. Heck - Apple even charged $29.95 for the beta version (something which microsoft has never done). Oh, and there aren't any laws requiring Windows. People aren't willing to take the time to learn Linux (and it still isn't as good as Windows in many ways, though it is definitely great for some things), and Apple overcharges by a few hundred dollars for every computer they make. That leaves Windows as the best option for most people.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
And unless you can give us a better solution, you have no reason to whine especially if you're using a cracked one. Snow Leopard? I could use your argument and talk about their overpriced hardware. Hey, I don't even need to crack to have a PC cheaper than using Snow Leopard!

I do agree that MS is generally over-priced with a few exceptions:

1) I bought a three-pack of Microsoft Office Student and Home Edition for just under $100. ~$30 per license on that software seems like a good deal to me, even if it is a trimmed down version of Office, I don't need Outlook, One Note, Groove, InfoPath, and Publisher.

2) I bought a $50 upgrade to Windows 7 (which is no longer available). It's a preorder special they had in July, and you don't even get charged until it becomes available to you. I don't normally buy an OS its release date, but because my work is considering jumping on Windows 7 quickly, I want to get my hands on it at home.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

The upgrade is the "$30" one. Otherwise you're buying the Mac box set with ilife istupid idumb irunonoverpicedhardware.

I used to think that Microsoft was way overpriced, and probably still would complain if I couldn't get it through my University, but when you compare it to commercial software (like a $15,000 CAD license), you realize it isn't that bad for all it does.

This is a great point, the people eligible for the $30 upgrade have already paid their Apple Tax, it's likely that it was offered so those folks don't feel alienated after shelling out the big bucks, MS of course does the same thing, but the cheapest it did was $50, and that was only for a limited time on limited products.

Actually, if you're a student, you can get an incredible deal on MS office.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx