[Gigabyte] Adaptec 5405 compatible w/ P35-DS3P?

Hello,

I have a (yes) 3.5 years old GB P35-DS3P rev 2.0 MB. The primary PCIE x16 slot has a 8800GT on it. I am thinking of going RAID and been wanting an adaptec 5405, which is a x8 card.

The DS3P has a 2nd x16 (electrical x4) slot left that's said to be crossfire compatible. I am just wondering anyone tried to put an adaptec x8 (or x4) RAID card on it? All the other PCIE slots are vacant as of now.

The rest of the system:
Core2Quad oc'ed to 3.2GHz
4GB DDR2-1066
X25-M G2 SSD 120GB boot WIN7-x64
a couple other SATA harddrives

Many thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about gigabyte adaptec 5405 compatible ds3p
  1. Have not tried that particular combination (my SCSI card is from Atto).
    It should work. The "video" slots are not really reserved for video; any PCI-E card will work in them.

However: It's an x4 slot. The controller will plug in, but will only have x4 data rate. One of the brilliant points of PCI-E is that you can plug an any-width card into an any-width slot, unless some dimwit designed the slot so that you can't physically plug in a wider card.

"Up to 256 SATA or SAS drives using SAS expanders " sounds like fun. My RAID is a rackmount 8-drive model with an UltraSCSI connection to the host. I picked that so I could put the noisy darn thing in my attic, and have a cable long enough.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Adaptec Compatibility Storage