Sign in with
Your question

Connect DVI output to HDMI input on LCD TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2009 5:07:23 PM

I am trying to connect my computer which has only DVI output to my LCD TV which has both HDMI and VGA input.

When I connect using a DVI to VGA converter sending a VGA cable to the TV's input, I have a pretty great quality picture (after adjusting the Display settings in control pannel). However, since I have purchased an LG Blu Ray player I want to see the HD difference so I have also purchased a quality reviewed DVI to HDMI cable.

After trying to boot up using that DVI to HDMI that is plugged in to my TV's HDMI 2 spot, the picture does not take up the entire screen. Actually it only takes up about 1/2 of my TV's screen producing a dismal 640x800 (or something like that) display picture. Even after changing the settings in Control Pannel I can force it to produce the 1260x1080 but the picture looks terrible and not sharp at all. I got a better Full Screen picture from the VGA cable.

What do I need to do to get that high quality picture I am looking for? I've updated all my Video Card's drivers and installed Power DVD to be able to play Blu Ray. I have even played a Blu Ray DVD using the VGA and it looks pretty awesome but shouldn't the Digital cable produce the best video?

It cannot be the software because even my desktop shows at that dismal display I mentioned above.

What gives?

Computer and TV specs below.

TV: Sony XBR 6
Blu Ray Drive: LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L
Video Card: ATI 100-435840 Radeon X1800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Ready Video Card
DVI to HDMI Cable: Link Depot 15 FT DVI TO HDMI CABLE Model LD-DVI15HDMI
June 15, 2009 6:48:03 PM

VGA will produce essentially the same image as HDMI unless you have cheap parts.

The major issue would be HDCP, but as HDCP hardware was 'supported' but optional most X1800s didn't get it anyways, so that difference likely isn't present. You also don't get the audio over HDMI difference.

As for why it's only outputing lower resolutions, that depends on a few factors, but you'll have to manually troubleshoot them, including going into the control panel to toggle the display as TV option in the DTV subsection.

Also I assume you're using XP and not Vista, eh? Vista actually improved HDMI detection, but introduces other issues of course (can't have everything you know, that wouldn't be M$ otherwise. :sarcastic:  ).

You may need to poke around in CCC and see what settings are offered you, they will be different from those we have for the HD series.

PS, you may want to look at forcing the resolution through powerstrip or AtiTrayTools, but I'm not sure if it will work with the X1800 and video. Video is a stange fish and isn't like displaying just desktop resolutions which you can hack in with reg edits.
June 16, 2009 5:03:11 PM

Gr8gRAp,

Are you suggesting maybe that my X1800 may not have the capabilities to fully handle the HD signal?

Where is it that you can Toggle the Display as TV? I'm assuming settings tab under Display in Control Panel but is it under Advanced?

Yes I am running Windows XP MCE.

Also what is the CCC?

From reading other posts some have said that you must find out what your televisions accepted resolutions are then install one of those programs you mentioned and force that resolution.

To me it seems like the Television knows how to handle the VGA signal better becasue it know that a PC is on the other side. There are a multitude of items that could be on the other side of an HDMI cable and it does not understand that it is a PC.

If it does not work out I will stick with the VGA but be a little dissapointed that I purchased a Blu Ray player while not getting the full Digital signal.

Thanks for your input!
!