bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
About a month ago I built my second system as follows:

Compaq case (Reused from a previous incarnation)
Asus M3N78-VM micro ATX Motherboard (Using onboard graphics and audio for now)
AMD Athlonx2 7750 CPU
4 GB (2x2gb) Gskill DDR2 PC2 800
Western Digital 160GB SATA HDD
HP DVD burner (Reused)
Lite On DVD burner (Reused)
Ultra 500 watt power supply
19" hanspree LCD monitor

I installed Windows Vista 64bit and everything was going great. Tonight, I played a Movie DVD in the HP player without problem but I realized that I hadn't used the second DVD player in this system as of yet. When I placed the same movie in the Lite On player I received an obscure error and my desktop disappeared. Only the wallpaper remained. I performed a hard reset and Windows wouldn't load until I removed the DVD. Then the password screen popped right up. A blank does not cause this. As I write this I am wondering if it's due to a conflict between the Lite On's drivers and the 64bit OS. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks.
Bob

I would expect any drivers needed to be native to vista 64.
I would first check the BIOS for any suspicious settings, and then I would do a firmware update check to see if there was anything available for the Lite-on.

Are these two IDE drives and on the same cable by chance?

bobarotti

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Well, first a correction: the HP burner was the problem burner not the Lite-On. Anyway, I checked your first two suggestions without success, however, I saw where you where going with the cable question. In the BIOS it lists jumperless configuration and I therefore had not looked at the jumpers. When I just checked, the system lists the HP as Slave and the jumper is in that position. The Lite-On is listed as Master, but the jumper was in the cable select position. I switched it to Master and viola...the HP now works without a problem. I am not sure why this is but am happy that it does. Thanks for your help.
Bob

TRENDING THREADS