Having some annoying fan problems

ezkill

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Alright, here's the issue I'm facing:

1. Fans run 100%, they will start off quiet then pick up around 15 sec. after i log into my computer
2. I have tried SPEEDFAN, it does not work with my computer, have all fans at 0% and they are still all running around 2200 RPM
3. Case - In-Win Dragon Rider, stock fans, I have 2 120mm's on top, one under my cpu, and another on the back of my case
*Side Note: My 220mm fan isn't working for some reason, from what i can see its all hooked up correctly.
4. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, bios are "phoenixaward"
5. Here are the things i've attempted so far:
A. Cool n quiet off/on
B. Disable/enable SMART fan
C. Speedfan, which doesnt work
D. Bios are fine from my POV

Also, last night my fans were quieter than ever, and then this morning, I powered up and they were quiet. However, I logged into Win7 and about 15 seconds in, they just roared up and have been on 100% ever since. It's just strange because they have never done this before. Some people were telling me it's just simply that i have "noisy" fans, but that cannot be the case because they were never this noisy prior to today.

One last thing, they sound like a jet engine, and i'm sitting at idle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ezkill

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

How do you tell? not super tech savvy!

Welcome to the forums!

Could it be the PSU fan or graphics card fan?

Try disconnecting each fan, except the CPU fan, to see if the noise goes away or put a pencil in the fins when idle and then turn the computer on. Once you know which fan it is, you can replace it or take other action.

ezkill

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
@gracefully : they are going into my PSU

@evongugg : Well it's not that its making a clanky noise, just fans are wayyy high on RPM, one day they just shot up to 100% rpm and stayed there the entire time, even on idle, let it sit there for a couple hours, never calmed down.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Since they connect to the PSU, your motherboard has no control over them. Even if you set your fan speed to 0%, there is no "fan" to control. If your fans have the 3-pin/4-pin fan connectors, connect them to your motherboard instead so that you can control them.

I had the same noise issue with my Hyper212+. It was running at 100% all the time, but since it was connected to the motherboard, and it was a PWM fan, it was easy to set it to something like 40% and that took care of the noise.

ezkill

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Figured out my issue guys n gals, ATI catalyst bug. Didn't know there was a bug which cranked up fans to 100% because it pushed my gpu to 100% without my knowing. however, i went into catalyst "restored defaults" and my fans dropped back down to 40%

:D