Sign in with
Your question

Bad video card or computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2009 8:06:39 PM

i built a new computer because my amd x2 4800+ would run prototype slow as hell, i am sueing an amd 7850be and 3gb ddr2 pc 6400 and an 9800gtx+ superclocked the motherboard is gigabyte ga-ma780g-ud3h is not computer still not fast enough for prototype
June 15, 2009 8:28:48 PM

I hadn't heard of this game until your post. A quick look shows that your system is well beyond the games requirements though. Even your old CPU was higher than the minimum.

When you say "is it not fast enough" do you mean it won't load at all? Or, are you just getting poor frames?

If you are getting poor frames, what resolution are you running at? I assume you downloaded the most current drivers for the video card?

Are any other games running unusually slow?

Anyone who has been following this game more closely than i have other suggestions?
a c 107 U Graphics card
June 15, 2009 9:07:16 PM

Well, if you are using 3x1GB sticks of DDR2 then they are running in single channel mode so that's a performance hit right there. Also, the 7850BE is a pretty low-mid CPU now at it's stock speeds. With it's unlocked multiplier though it's easy to overclock to get a little more performance out of it.

Did you dissable the onboard video? Did you uninstall the Catalyst display drivers BEFORE you installed your 9800GTX+? If not the old drivers can cause problems and lower your performance.
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
June 15, 2009 9:07:44 PM

By the way, what resolution and settings are you trying to play at?
June 15, 2009 10:46:38 PM

either way, with the games specs... the ram running in single channel and the 7850 processor, it should be "playable" the game only requires a 4000+, 1 gig ram and a 7600gt card... somethings off
June 16, 2009 12:00:26 AM

poor frames i tried the new drivers and the same thing as for the new cpu my 7850be is faster the my friends e5400 and it close to an e6300 it's not to bad much faster then my amd x2 4800, also there was one other game that would run slow cryostasis as well and my motherboard is a gameing board from what i was told better then amd other crap that was cheap stuff that compaq use in there computers, dose any one know how high my new can be overclocked and is it safe to use the stock cpu cooler
June 16, 2009 4:23:08 PM

Assuming everything is running correctly I wouldn't think you would "need" to OC... what resolution are you playing at? Is everything on high? What were the 3dmark06 scores, that would let us know if something is really off or not.

Stock coolers are usually good for 5-8% OC, but an aftermarket cooler with some silver5 is always a nice safe bet, especially when you're talking about brand new hardware.
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 16, 2009 5:59:12 PM

peter2004 said:
poor frames i tried the new drivers and the same thing as for the new cpu my 7850be is faster the my friends e5400 and it close to an e6300 it's not to bad much faster then my amd x2 4800, also there was one other game that would run slow cryostasis as well and my motherboard is a gameing board from what i was told better then amd other crap that was cheap stuff that compaq use in there computers, dose any one know how high my new can be overclocked and is it safe to use the stock cpu cooler

This article may shed some light on the Cryostasis issues, as for Prototype that's just another badly ported console title according to the reviews.
June 16, 2009 6:27:58 PM

mouse has a point with that article.... that and also from what i've seen Prototype isn't written the best (not saying it's a bad game, just saying the code isn't the best)

as i've said before, if you run a benchmark, then we can see if the thing is getting low results there which would indicate an issue or if the benchmarks aren't low, then clearly it is the game
June 16, 2009 8:28:46 PM

how do you run a bechmark :pfff: 
June 16, 2009 8:40:53 PM

No big deal =D

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

download it there

once you're in the program if you use the free basic version you won't be able to change any of the setting (which is fine) start the test and have it go through the sequence. The full tests should run 10 minutes or so... if i remember correctly there are 5... space fighter fight, wisp tag, cpu1, cpu2, helium balloon and snow... so 6 tests.

at the end of the tests click on the view your score thing and agree, then it will take you to a site and show you how you did

you will have a cpu score, sm or cm 2 and 3 score which are for your gpu...

If your cpu scores are over say 4000 each, then the issue is more than likely not your GPU and would be more related to the game itself (which would be odd because again that game doesn't take ~that~ much power to go) if your scores are unusually low say, sub 4k, then it's obviously not the game

once we know if the game is truly not the issue then we can go from there (and this is probably and hopefully where mouse will come back in because he is far wiser than i)
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 16, 2009 8:41:59 PM

FRAPS?
June 16, 2009 8:46:56 PM

or yeah FRAPS =D
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 16, 2009 8:57:12 PM

Kithzaru said:
No big deal =D

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

download it there

once you're in the program if you use the free basic version you won't be able to change any of the setting (which is fine) start the test and have it go through the sequence. The full tests should run 10 minutes or so... if i remember correctly there are 5... space fighter fight, wisp tag, cpu1, cpu2, helium balloon and snow... so 6 tests.

at the end of the tests click on the view your score thing and agree, then it will take you to a site and show you how you did

you will have a cpu score, sm or cm 2 and 3 score which are for your gpu...

If your cpu scores are over say 4000 each, then the issue is more than likely not your GPU and would be more related to the game itself (which would be odd because again that game doesn't take ~that~ much power to go) if your scores are unusually low say, sub 4k, then it's obviously not the game

once we know if the game is truly not the issue then we can go from there (and this is probably and hopefully where mouse will come back in because he is far wiser than i)

I don't know about that :??:  , the only problem with 3d '06 and it's successor Vantage is that they are both CPU biased, 3D '06 more than Vantage, if the OP can work out how to use fraps then that together with something like Rivatuner running in the background in hardware monitor mode will give you an FPS count together with CPU temp, GPU temp & framerate trace, unfortunately Rivatuner does take a bit of setting up to get that and I find that a full copy Everest helps as Rivatuner imports the sensor readings from it, though HW monitor might work as well I just haven't tried that yet.
June 16, 2009 10:31:17 PM

Yeah, you have a good point with running FRAPS along with Riva or something else. Get more done testing wise. 3dmark06 is relatively easy though, no real setup needed and no fiddling with it. It's an amazing tool, when used and setup properly. (lol i really need to give in another go sometime~)

I assumed though ( i know it's bad to assume.. but yeah) that since he said poor frames and not crashing or turning off or restarting that it wasn't really a heat issue. Though, testing it isn't a bad idea. Prime95 with Riva .... i don't know, i almost feel like we are throwing too much at poor Peter.

!