Video Editing Hard Drives

I have 300 hrs of HDV to work through. Wondering if a 4TB External Drive with RAID 0-5 capability will do the trick?
5 answers Last reply
More about video editing hard drives
  1. For video editing you typically need the fastest possible transfer rates. That normally means RAID 0. But watch out for external drives - the connection to the host may be a bottleneck. You'd probably be better off mounting the drives internally and connecting them directly to the motherboard host ports (assuming you have a RAID-capable motherboard).
  2. Get eBOX-R5 - Five tray-less hardware raid

Set up as raid5 with 4x drives and the 5th drive use is as hot swap archive data

It will give your over 200MB/sec for video editing and backup solution

This is what it can support
  3. If you have a RAID capable motherboard and 4 free SATA ports, it might be better to just go 4 x 1TB in RAID 0, and that'll probably cost you less.
  4. windpath said:
    I have 300 hrs of HDV to work through. Wondering if a 4TB External Drive with RAID 0-5 capability will do the trick?

External storage is not a good solution for editing video unless you have fiber connectivity which is big bucks... You'll want an internal config with a hardware based raid controller running one or two striped (0) array(s). Soft raid which is commonly found on premium boards will tax your CPU slightly... better than a single drive solution but not the best.

A pcie or pci-x card will offer the highest amount of throughput. You will also see a performance bump if your scratch (source) and destination are separate arrays.

In order for us to offer the best solution, you need to actually provide details/specs on the computer... and if you're just asking what capacity drive(s) you need, you have to provide the codecs you will be reading from/writing to.

I'd also suggest using a linux distro as your OS which will avoid the overhead of winblows or somewhat limited raid options of a Mac.
  5. Something like Windows 7 offers very little "overhead" more than a minimalistic linux distribution (say, something like Arch Linux) configured to be a modern desktop machine. I can't speak for OS X out of experience, but considering that in general, it's pretty close to windows, I'd say they're similar enough that it doesn't make too much difference. Furthermore, Windows and OS X both provide unique software solutions for video editing that Linux doesn't, often making linux a completely invalid choice for video editing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID External Drive Video Editing Storage