Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • TV
  • Tuner
  • Cable
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 15, 2009 8:11:15 PM

I have a WIN-TV HVR850 tv tuner for my computer, I can get cable when plugged directly to the wall, but only channels 2 - 28, I have tried to hook it up to my set top box and use MCE instead of the outdated software from the manufacturer and it will not work. I have the IR set up etc. and nothing.

I have tried talking to my cable company, but no joy, they don't even know the difference between encrypted or unencrypted signal. Anyway, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what tv tuner is out there that will work with the new mandated digital signal and my computer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lisa

More about : info tuner work digital cable

June 15, 2009 8:22:18 PM

lheinz said:
I have a WIN-TV HVR850 tv tuner for my computer, I can get cable when plugged directly to the wall, but only channels 2 - 28, I have tried to hook it up to my set top box and use MCE instead of the outdated software from the manufacturer and it will not work. I have the IR set up etc. and nothing.

I have tried talking to my cable company, but no joy, they don't even know the difference between encrypted or unencrypted signal. Anyway, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what tv tuner is out there that will work with the new mandated digital signal and my computer.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lisa

How are you hooking it up to your box? Are you directing the coaxial output that normally goes to a TV - into your TV Tuner device? I just looked up your device online - and it's a hybrid. I'm looking to get my first TV tuner in the near future but it looks like your device should be able to pick up from your cable tuner box.
June 15, 2009 8:28:38 PM

I can hook it up directly to the wall and it gives me channels 2 - 28 only, if I hook up the cable converter to the wall and then the tuner to the converter, I get nothing.

L.
Related resources
June 16, 2009 4:25:25 AM

For digital cable you need a card that supports QAM (something like the Hauppauge 950Q or the 1500 like I have), and then you will be able to get the unencrypted digital channels, what you are getting now is the unencrypted analogue NTSC channels.

Your tuner is Hybrid in that it supports analogue NTSC and also over the air ATSC reception, but unfortunately not QAM.

If you can return your 850, you might wanna upgrade to the 950Q, otherwise you need to change and decrypt the channels with your cable box and capture them with the tuner card (tune it to the output channel of the converter [ usually 2, 3 or 4 ] ).
June 16, 2009 11:51:14 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
For digital cable you need a card that supports QAM (something like the Hauppauge 950Q or the 1500 like I have), and then you will be able to get the unencrypted digital channels, what you are getting now is the unencrypted analogue NTSC channels.

Yeah - the 950 Q advertises you can watch a cable signal on that product.

Quote:
Clear QAM digital TV tuner built-in. Watch, pause and record clear QAM cable TV channels.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.htm...

The 850 only advertises that you can watch Analog Cable signal

Quote:
WinTV-HVR-850 hybrid TV stick features
Watch high definition ATSC digital TV or analog cable TV on your PC or laptop screen! ATSC HD is the over-the-air high definition TV standard for North America.

Digital ATSC HD TV features
ATSC over-the-air digital TV tuner built-in. Supports all ATSC formats, up to the high definition 1080i format!
Record ATSC digital TV to your PC's hard disk using high quality MPEG-2. ATSC digital TV recordings will typically consume from 1 to 5 Gb of disk space per hour, depending upon the TV broadcasters ATSC format

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr850.html

Looks like the only Digital Signal you can get on the 850 is over the air < ATSC >.
!