Rocketfish 700W PSU question?

G

Ok so at the moment I am Crossfiring 2 HD4850's and have a Phenom II 940 at 120W ect... I also have a Rocketfish 700W PSU because the minimum Watts required for HD4850 crossfire is 650W. Plus I work at Best Buy and got a SLAMMIN! discount on it and at the moment it's working just fine (at least in my opinion, but thats why I get help from experts). anyway, my question is would there be a performance difference if I bumped it up to 850W or 1000W?

It's not all about the wattage. It's more about amps available. Hardocp has tested the dynex power supplies and found that they can barely handle half their rated capacity. I'd bet good money that the rocketfish power supplies are simply rebranded higher wattage dynex PSUs.

If it's working you shouldn't see any performance boost by upgrading the PSU. I hope you have your rig on a damn good UPS.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Ok so at the moment I am Crossfiring 2 HD4850's and have a Phenom II 940 at 120W ect... I also have a Rocketfish 700W PSU because the minimum Watts required for HD4850 crossfire is 650W. Plus I work at Best Buy and got a SLAMMIN! discount on it and at the moment it's working just fine (at least in my opinion, but thats why I get help from experts). anyway, my question is would there be a performance difference if I bumped it up to 850W or 1000W?

Rocketfish??? Never heard of it. Does it have lots of chrome, LEDs and some really cool fins???

OK, back to a serious note... I hope we never get a store as sad as Best Buy here in Aus... And get yourself a decent PSU. My preference is Seasonic, followed by Corsair and PCP&C, followed by Antec. For your needs, (and what I perceive as your budget) I'd look to an Antec 550W-ish. Make sure it has enough pci-e connectors... Total system draw for a pair of 4890's in CF is well under 600w, full load. Quite drinking the kool-aid.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

WHY? So that POS PSU can also wipe out his UPS when it lets go???

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Well, in the case of a dead short to gnd, just one more component to fail....

Hopefully a good UPS will absorb/prevent any spikes or severe dips in power he may have before they get to his crappy power supply and destroy his system.
Of course this doesn't protect his system components from his power supply should it fail on it's own accord.

SpeedwayNative

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

RocketFish PSU's are actually a Huntkey PSU re-branded for Best Buy! I as well have the Rocketfish 700W PSU, and it has handled everything I have thrown at it so far! Someone else wrote that they haven't seen a single good review written about this PSU, which is strange with google and all! There has been good reviews written anout this PSU, and one where this PSU actually pulled more than 700W when tested! Here is one example:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/556/1

Now that being said, who cares about the big name on the side of the PSU, with the big pricetag along with it as well, if your PSU works just fine! I bought the Rocketfish 700W PSU off of Ebay almost a year ago for $45, and it has never let me down! I don't have a small system by any means either, and this PSU can defiantely hold its own! Also, in most of the testing done on the Rocketfish PSU's, both 550W and 700W, when the PSU couldn't handle the load placed on it, it would just shut down to protect the PC! This was one of the features that its reviewers liked!

I'm running a AMD Phenom II X4 945 on a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P w/ 4Gb of DDR3 1600 Dominator, 2 1TB Hard Drives, 2 HD 4830's in Crossfire, and a Lightscribe DVD burner all in an Antec 900 w/2 additional fans. I don't think that is a small load, and the Rocketfish 700W PSU handles it like a champ!

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
hey buddy how much wattage your psu can provide doesn't really matters...Check how many amps your psu can provide on 12v rails...Its written on the side of your psu..since you are on a cross fire configuration the 12v rails must provide at least 35A current...If its lower you might face blackouts during gaming

SpeedwayNative

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

I absolutely know that when it comes to your PSU the most important aspect are the amps on the 12v rails and how they distribute the power accordingly! The 700W Rocketfish I have has an 18A/18A/16A on 3 different rails for a 52A total! That more than enough to run Crossfire with 2 video cards! I have NEVER had a black out resulting from my PSU, EVER!

Also since my last post.....

I'm running a AMD Phenom II X4 965 (125w c3 version) on a MSI 790FX-GD70 w/ 4Gb of DDR3 1600 Dominator, 2 1TB Hard Drives, 2 HD 4870's in Crossfire( these video cards take a lot of power!!!!), and a Lightscribe DVD burner all in an Antec 900 w/2 additional fans in my 2nd rig

AND

And another computer that is still on my testing bench - Intel i7-930, MSI X58 PRO-E, 6GB of Triple Channel DDR3 1600 Dominator, 2 x Sapphire HD 5770's, Intel X-25m, 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black HD's, and a Samsung DVD-R drive all running off of a 700W Rocketfish! Even though when it gets installed in my Antec 1200, I will use my 900W Tagan BZ Series PSU!

My whole point here is: Anyone who talks S about this PSU, has prob never owned one, or even seen it in action! I don't care what the heck it is rebranded under or who sells it, I have seen this PSU on both of the systems above, and I have NEVER had an issue, EVER! This PSU has gotten a bad name due to the internet genious's out there who love to give a completely ignorant review of a computer component! If you haven't owned one, or seen one in action, then accept the fact that your probably not an authority on the matter and keep your opinions out of a forum!

and sayantan, none of this is really directed towards you in a negative way, but the "hey buddy" opening line, is a little demeaning. But, no worries! I just want people who are researching this PSU, and thinking about getting one to know that it's pretty SOLID, and for the price, it can't be beat!!!!

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I owned Dynex/Rocketfish power supplies. I have like 8+ 400w Dynex, and had 2 Rocketfish 700w (pallets, had far more power supplies but we eventually sold them to customers for their non gaming desktop PCs)

They're quite frankly unfit for gaming PCs they're amperages are next to pathetic. The 400w Dynex is really sad because it could not power a system with an HD 4850. Yet a 2nd Dynex 400w could. I tested 4 more found that 3 out of the 4 could not power on the system while one of the four could. Bad quality control.?

The two Rocketfish 700w power supplies did boot on the system and did not give me a hassle. I did open one but it really was nothing surprising for a rebranded power supply. While it did use cheap components it did use a few of them. A lot of safety features, not a lot of quality.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
since you linked hardware secrets, check these out:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/557 dynex/rocketfish/huntkey 400w that exploded at 450watt over load test

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/527/7 450w that exploded at 450w (prescribed amperage, not crossload)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/754 550w, burned at 550w (no explosion)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/672 350w, exploded at 350 watt

from all of these, it only says that huntkey is bad, and that rocketfish rebrands of it is just as bad

imo, the whole brand of rocketfish is fishy, they may be able to meet their specified outputs, but they either explode when you load it 100% or overload it, or provide only okay fluctuation on the rails at a much higher cost than ones ordered online with better mauf.

What you have is the "RF700WPS2"
The original RF700WPS had 4 x 18a rails.
The 2 at the end of the model is to show that they have changed oems.
Internally the RF700WPS2 is the same as a Corsair 550, it uses a CWT PSH550 oem that is far better than the Huntkey oem used in the model you linked to at HWS.
Read the 550 watt review that holylancer put up
PS; the total amperage on the 12v rails is not additive, check out the manual, the combined rating is 41 amps.