What's next for AMD?

Smoochydies

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Does anyone know what the next CPU from AMD will be. I would imagine they got something up their sleeve since the i5 is gonna hurt them big time.

Solution
AMD has Bulldozer >4 cores. That will compete against Intel's i7/i9 which is due to come out in 2011. However, considering that AMD already has Istanbul for servers, it is only a matter of time where they will move 6-cores over to consumer segment. Or perhaps, AMD thinks that there isn't market for more than 4 cores yet? This is logical since most commercial software do not use up to 4 cores.

4745454b

Titan
JDJ will be able to tell you for sure, but I don't think the next big thing comes out until 2011/12. Bulldozer is the name but more then that we don't know for sure. There will continue to be process and small improvements to the current line up, but nothing ground breaking.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
AMD has Bulldozer >4 cores. That will compete against Intel's i7/i9 which is due to come out in 2011. However, considering that AMD already has Istanbul for servers, it is only a matter of time where they will move 6-cores over to consumer segment. Or perhaps, AMD thinks that there isn't market for more than 4 cores yet? This is logical since most commercial software do not use up to 4 cores.

Solution