Is it worth to buy a hd3850 for my pc?

Lightscout

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Im planning to upgrade my old pc. Because my mobo is socket A, the best processor i found is an athlon xp 2800+. So if i buy a hd 3850 is it gonna be slowed down by the processor?

Lightscout

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

Im running an radeon 9000 pro 64mb (i didnt got the 2800+ yet , probably il get it in 1-2 days)

Buy a modern processor for about the the cost of an AGP 3850 and be well on the way to building a modern system with new technology. Suggestion would be not to put money into an old system like that. If you like AMD a powerful, modern system can be put together cheap. An Athlon XP 2800 with a gig of single channel 333MHz DDR in a 4x AGP slot wouldn't do a Radeon 3850 justice if performance is what computing is all about. The 3850 is a nice card though.

Lightscout

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
hmm, then i think il just buy the processor and 1gb ram for 60$ and try to find a cheap graphic card. Anyway thx for the advices.

Again, wasting more than $100 on your current system is not a cost effective way to upgrade.
For under $200 you can have a significant upgrade to your entire system...

I have a Nvidia 5900 Ultra on my Socket A. My CPU is the Athlon XP 3200 2.2GHz, which is the top of the line for the Athlon XP series. It has it's limititations. LIke it runs real hot. Both the 5900 Ultra and the XP 3200. When I want to feel fast, I pull it out of box and fire it up. That's after I power down my 450MHz P3 with the TNT 16 GB onboard.

I have a lot of request to fix old computers lately. They are AGP. I'm about out of AGP cards. My MX400 is about my last spare card left. But yeah, a cheaper card for that system might work OK. Then plan on buying a new system something like Outlaw suggested for $200. I have to buy a couple of cheap AGP cards too. Or start installing some of the TNT's I have.

Yeah. 16MB. Actually I think it's my matrox Mystique that has 16MB onboard RAM. Bought it new. My TNT's are much more heavily equipped in the area of Mbs. Soon the word megabyte will be regarded stricty as hieroglyphic .

EDIT for Writer's embellishments.

I replaced the chipset fan (Ha) on my MX400 AGP last night. Now I know what was making the noise on that system last year. That fan is like a 2mm deal and is useless. The card ran fine without it. I see OP has a 9000 radeon currently (i am not familiar with the card). I had a 9200 Radeon AGP years ago and it would game a little back when. Thes cards are like Direct x 7 or something. So, any kind of gaming on the machine would be a mistake. But, $100 for an AGP card is steep with all the deals on a new system build available. Actually, mySocket A system runs well. It has dual channel PC3200 working well. Just a little hot and bothered when it's pushed is all.

Lightscout

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
i just found a HIS ATI Radeon HD3650 512MB DDR2 128-bit AGP for 50$.Shoud i buy it or keep looking for a cheaper/better one? Also ( just to be sure), does it work on my Gigabyte GA-7VA mobo (http://www.gigabyte.com.ro/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1409). It says only 1.5v display cards are supported and i dont know what that means.

Yeah it will work if this is you're MB. What do you use the system for? Gaming? The Radeon 3650 would be a big jump up video processor wise from an ATI 9000 in that regard, but performance would be lacking compared to something like Outlaw6669 recommended... Sure, if you insist on upgrading that system $50 is really about max I would spend on it. I doubt I would spend $50 really.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1409