CPU & RAM

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • Computer
Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2009 1:20:29 PM

Hi guys,

I keep on getting my computer restarted for about 5 times before it finally gets to work. Still using stock defaults. I've been looking around, and learn that FSB:RAM should be 1:1; how can I do this?

More about : cpu ram

August 31, 2009 1:41:34 PM

Use the BIOS
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
August 31, 2009 2:49:05 PM

System specs? What kind of motherboard?

To run 1:1, your memory clock frequency has to be twice the FSB frequency.

I am assuming you are running a Core2 CPU. Somewhere in the BIOS (that's one reason we need specs), there should be a setting for the memory clock multiplier. Different motherboards and BIOs's call it different things. Take it off [AUTO] and set to the first 2.00 setting you come to.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 7:37:11 PM

it can be any ratio u want. the "1:1 a must" ratio is a myth. actually, the higher u can raise your ram fsb, the better ( with decent latencies, of course).
your system might restart several times till the board set the correct ram timings. try manually setting the RAM latencies, see if that works.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
August 31, 2009 8:02:35 PM

jimishtar said:
it can be any ratio u want. the "1:1 a must" ratio is a myth. actually, the higher u can raise your ram fsb, the better ( with decent latencies, of course).

Actually, that is not exactly true. There's no question that running the RAM at less than the CPU will have a deleterious effect on system performance. Running the RAM faster has a small positive effect on memory benchmarks at the cost of an increase in instability, but no gains in real world performance. You will gain more by running the RAM at 1:1 and tightening the memory timing. It depends on whether you are building a machine to run benchmarks or to actually do something.

After the 4-4-4-12 or "whatever you need to make it run" settings, I think you reach the point of diminishing returns. I leave all that stuff on AUTO or let the BIOS select what it thinks it needs. I've been doing this a while and there just comes a point where if you need a really good memory benchmark to tell the difference, you have reached a good place to stop.
----------
Building computers since 1977.
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2009 9:40:36 PM

so what u are saying is that, 4-4-4-12 @ 800 Mhz is better than 5-5-5-15 @ 1066 Mhz ? I personally believe that the difference is so small that only a benchmark can notice, there wont be real world benefit. At least not as much to put that "1:1" ratio in every newcomer's head.
m
l
!