Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hello, I recently bought a new rig:
- Core i7 950 3.06
- Gigabyte X58-USB3
- Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB
- Thermaltake V5 Case
- Sapphire HD 4870 512Mb

Well, the thing is I saw my RAM was running at 1066 and thought that maybe the design of the Cosair's is made to be overclocked to 1600. Then I read that on i7 memory is put on 1066 and that overclocking goes along with the CPU.

Can anyone help me overclock step by step? I am new to this things but know my PC language. For instance, I already found the "Memory Multiplier" and "Memory Voltage" on the BIOS. I wanted to know if only changing the multiplier to whatever makes it 1600 and the voltage to 1.6 would be enough or what else I have to do, and if it's safe.

I wanted to really know why then do they sell this as 1600 to run with Core i7 if Core i7 makes them run at 1066.
I thought that maybe with normal 1066 RAM overclocking it to 1600 would be bad but the Corsair Dominators are made for that. Thanks!

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

That's what your CPU is rated for at it's stock frequencies. As your overclock your cpu your ram frequencies will go up as well (they're tied together, as you raise your ram FSB your ram frequency will rise with it). Don't overclock your ram independently, that's useless, and if you oc your cpu after independently ocing your memory, you'll probably go over 1600mhz and fry your ram. Just begin to overclock your cpu and make sure your ram doesn't go over 1600mhz!!! Look up some guides on ram timing, so you can adjust them according to your mhz.
ps: that's all the info you're getting from me, ocing is a huge process (not really but requires much knowledge) and you need to look up all that info, no one will be willing to write up a guide for you haha, though i'm sure they'll be people who will give you some guidelines of safety, like i did just now with your ram :p Good Luck!!
(DO a bunch of research, then when you have more specific questions, post them in this thread :p)