Looking for reliable PSU with blue LED's

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I'm looking for bling and reliability.....

IKONIK Vulcan 1200W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817301001
JohnnyGuru score = 9

XION AXP Lan-Party Edition AXP-1000R14HE 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190021

KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121037

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182188

Anyone know of any others?
Any comments on these?

I will be running SLI EVGA GTX 208's
and geeting anew 24" high res diplay in the near future.

ShtBrix

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Do you really need blue LED's?
The only good PSU there is the Ikonik, and it's serious overkill.

Get a Corsair 750 or 850 watt.

Hmmm....I don't know about bling and reliability. The high quality power supplies that are usually recommended in this section of the forum don't come with bling. I strongly suggest you concentrate on quality, stability, and reliability when looking for a power supply. Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are brands that have a reputation for high quality. The consistently earn high marks in technical reviews.

If you are going to be running only two GTX 280 graphic cards in dual mode, then a high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily handle your system. No need to purchase an expensive 1,000 watt power supply.

mi1ez

Splendid
Please don't recommend people to open their PSU without some SERIOUS warnings! A PSU can still give you a huge shock days after being disconnected from the mains and it's more than just your warranty that's in danger.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks all this is the one I will be getting:

KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817121037

It has 55 great review on NewEgg and JonnyGuru gave it 8.

Performance (40% of the final score) - the Mach 1 at one kilowatt does a number of things to impress. First, it held 80 Plus Bronze without too much trouble. Second, it exhibited outstanding voltage stability. Third, it was well above average in the overshoot transient testing. But, the grim specter of the ripple demon reared its ugly head and called itself Zuul, for the unit was only barely in spec by test five and levitated itself out of spec in both crossload tests. As such, I'm only feeling the urge for an 8 here.

Functionality (20% of the final score) - Kingwin tried to stand out from the crowd a little here, going with some different connectors on the modular panel than most modular units use. As such, I have to say these connectors do look cool. Unfortunately they carry the double whammy of sticking out well past the end of the power supply and also by raising questions that they're any better than the Mini-Fit Juniors that most companies use. Add in the fact that one wire at the ATX connector was too short in relation to its neighbors, and I'm dropping this category down to 8 as well.

Value (30% of the final score) - over at Mwave, this unit is going for $178.95. That's actually not too bad, because it's the cheapest 1kW they have right now. Even so, the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W is about a dollar ninety-five cheaper, and the Antec True Power Quattro 1kW comes in at $194. Granted, this unit is more powerful than either of those at 12V, but let's be honest... how much of that extra power is worth pushing the ATX spec for ripple, anyway? 7.

Aesthetics (10% of the final score) - it would look better to me without that fan graph sticker. Still, those lit connector rings are kind of cool. 8.

Performance

Functionality

Value

Aesthetics

Total Score 8

Summary

The Mach 1 does several things very well. It has the voltage regulation, the efficiency, and the power to be a good contender in the marketplace. It's just too bad that the ripple bug had to come up and cut the legs off the poor thing. All the same, you could do worse than this unit. No recommendation this time, but I'm hoping Kingwin can get the ripple tamed for the next one. This platform's capable of a lot, and I want to see it happen.

The Good:

efficient
above average overshoot transient performance
PCI-E connectors get 70A if needed
The Bad:

bling factor is a bit over the top
The Mediocre:

ripple issues

FOR THE RECORD - I predict more powerful, energy efficient cpu's and gpu's that use less power will make their appearance next year. We've already started to see some of that happening. I just read an article about 32nm technology. Intel, AMD, and other manufacturers are ramping up fairly quickly. There is a race to see who can bring it to market first. Should be interesting.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I have a 750w PSU but it will not support SLI Geforce GTX video cards

I bought it less than 6 months ago and I am grwoingvout of it.

I currently OC my CPU
I want to OC my GPU's

I want to SLI GTX 280s
get a new 24" screen with the highest resolution.

I want to buy for the future as new cards will be coming out within the next 8 months.

I am hoping that a 1000w PSU will at least last for the next 4years as technology changes.

Thanks Mark

1. A computer system with an Intel cpu overclocked to 4.0Mhz and two GTX 280's operating in SLI mode drew a grand total of about 508 watts at the wall outlet at load during benchmark testing. That's the total wattage of the entire system.

2. The GTX 280's are last year's technology. Future video cards will become more energy efficient. The big players have jumped on the green bandwagon.

3. We had a previous thread with numerous links to technical reviews and updates about the GTX 280. You might want to check them out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251676-33-reviews-benchmarks-compilation#t1827018

Warning - be prepared to spend some time reading the technical reviews and updates.

ShtBrix

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

Are you saying you don't have the right power connectors?

Just get some 6 to 8 pin adapters.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I would not go with the kingwin giving the Ripple issues on the model they tested.

Rosewills RX 950 test better then the Kingwin with no real out of spec ripple issues, and it has two 80 mm fans with blue leds.

If you want a very good PSU go with the Corsair 750 or the 1000 watt model, you can always add some 4" blue lights around it or near it and still get the lighting your after.

ragsters - very nice. That's one of the newer Antec models. I can't keep up with all the new components.

orangegator & ShtBrix (funny handle) - Yeah!

Personally I prefer a classic all black exterior and interior. It's sooooo sexy!

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

No im saying the unit can not handel 2 cards. Each card needs 3 6 pin connectors one connector for the 6 pin and two 6 pin cables with an adaptor to make the 8 pin. the unit only has a total of 4 x 6 pin PCIE cable connections.

I would need 6x6 pin to make it work on my current PSU with two adapters.

Here is my current PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256009

JonnyLucky, orangegator & ShtBrix,

Tell me how I can connect 2x Geforce GTX 280's to this PSU and my problem will be solved.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I saw this one already but I already have a 750w PSU all though I cant see how to configure it with two GTX 28x cards. see my other detailed post.

So I though I would by a pus with a little more head room so I can go tri sli when I get a beeter biger monitor.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Wow,

I didnt even know these existed.

Thanks you just solved my issue.

And I [m sorry you other guys if this is what you all were talking about.
Thanks so musch for your help!

PS anyone know how this works? How can it convert 6 wires into 8?
In the PSU I would think that all the wires (8 in the cable) have to map back to 8 in the PSU (were there are only 6).