Need help deciding between 2 motherboards

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • AMD
  • ATX
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 17, 2009 6:40:29 PM

I am looking for advice on a new motherboard.

I am upgrading my PC from an old AMD Athalon 64 3000 CPU and Asus motherboard. I will be reusing the optical drives, PSU, HD's and case (ATX Full Tower). This will be my primary home PC. I also want to use it for occasional gaming as well as use it for a HTPC for my basement theater room (no DVR functionality, just media playback such as BD, Netflix streaming, FLAC audio, etc.)

Since I am not looking to build a high end gaming system, I have narrowed down my choices for a motherboard to these two:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both have similar specs and cost. However, the Gigabyte board is a micro ATX board and the Asus is a full sized ATX board. I am leaning towards the Gigabyte board. Even though I have a full sized tower, it is my understanding that you can mount a micro-atx board in a full tower. My thinking is that if I wanted to upgrade to a higher end gaming system in the future, I would by a new full size ATX board for my existing case and I could put the Gigabyte board into a smaller case to use as a HTPC in a different room.

I plan on using the onboard video to start with and then possibly upgrading to a dedicated video card later. I have no desire to get into a dual card setup, so the fact that the Gigabyte card only has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot doesn't bother me.

I most likely will go with an AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz CPU, possibly a AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two boards? Even though I am leaning towards the Gigabyte board, I am not married to that as my choice. Are there any benefits of going with a full sized ATX board over a Micro-ATX board that I am missing? Are their any significant performance/feature differences between these boards?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : deciding motherboards

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
November 17, 2009 6:44:55 PM

Go with the gigabyte. I like smaller htpc cases; some are micro-atx only.
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 17, 2009 7:37:05 PM

In the event that your choice is a tossup, I also vote for Gigabyte.
!