Your question

Why use BIOS for Overclocking?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • BIOS
  • Build
Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2011 6:14:15 AM

I just got my new system together, an mATX build with an Asus P8P67-M Pro mobo, i5-2500k, 8G corsair vengeance 1600 ram, and a corsair H70 cooler.

Super happy with the build, but I have some questions about overclocking.

Primarily, why should I not use the Asus Turbo V EVO software to overclock? Everywhere I see articles about overclocking, everyone pooh poohs the OC software and says you gotta do it in bios.

I played with this utility a bit, and got a 4.7 stable OC pretty much in 10 minutes. And speedstep appears to be still enabled, so my machine is nice and cool when not under load and then kicks it in when load testing.

My last build I spent DAYS OCing my board- and while that was fun for me, its pretty clear there is a lot of time and money being invested in these tools, so it seems inevitable that at some point there is no point to using bios to overclock.

I'm wondering if that time is now.

What am I missing? If I have a 4.7OC which is fine by me, is stable in prime95, and IBT, what are the reasons I should go and spend a lot of time noodling in the bios? Squeezing out 4.8 may not be worth it.

But to be honest, I don't MIND doing that, but I don't know what the point would be- if there are real technical reasons why I should go OC in bios, I would very much like to hear them!

Thanks!

More about : bios overclocking

a c 107 K Overclocking
April 11, 2011 6:30:36 AM

With that board, you cannot use the BIOS to overclock anyway -- some of the overclocking and voltage options have been disabled in the BIOS. The only way to really overclock with that board is to use the software.

In the case of a board with a full overclocking and voltage feature set, the software stops at a certain point and the only way to go beyond is to use the BIOS. The software doesn't give full access to every setting you can get through the BIOS. The software is there to make overclocking easier without being confusing, while the BIOS is there to give access to every single option you can get which can be quite confusing and intimidating to the everyday user.

I always use the BIOS to overclock the board and/or CPU. The only overclocking I do with software is for the GPU, and that's only because I can't access the GPU's BIOS. If I could, I would.
m
l
Related resources
a c 107 K Overclocking
April 11, 2011 7:13:33 AM

If you read the first ten or so posts in that thread, you will understand why I said what I did. They must have added some settings to the BIOS since then, but you still can't directly control the CPU voltage.
m
l
a c 198 K Overclocking
April 11, 2011 3:03:49 PM

The reason we tell you to learn how to use the BIOS is because the BIOS gives you complete control over the system. Windows based methods of overclocking depend on Auto settings, especially for voltage. You never quite know what an Auto setting is going to do.

Unlocked multipliers (the AMD BE's and Intel i-K's) greatly simplify overclocking, but it is really no substitute for bypassing the BIOS.
m
l
April 11, 2011 4:18:21 PM

Yes you can use this motherboard for OC'-ing, just update the BIOS. If you want to have stable overclock, and not to be dependent on windows programs then you use BIOS. Bios gives you total control over the parameters like voltage, PCI, BCLK etc. And also I should mention that it is safer and more professorial to OC your system via BIOS then windows based method. And remember always ALWAYS use BIOS.
m
l
June 7, 2011 11:42:47 PM

jsc said:
The reason we tell you to learn how to use the BIOS is because the BIOS gives you complete control over the system. Windows based methods of overclocking depend on Auto settings, especially for voltage. You never quite know what an Auto setting is going to do.

Unlocked multipliers (the AMD BE's and Intel i-K's) greatly simplify overclocking, but it is really no substitute for bypassing the BIOS.

My plan was to set up the OC parameters in the BIOS, then run the stability test. After establishing these values I save the settings in Turbo V EVO so I can overclock when I need the speed without having to reboot and go into the BIOS.(I've only changed the multiplier and core voltage). Would it be better to set the OC in the BIOS and leave it alone? I was afraid keeping OC'd at 4500 MHz might shorten the life of the CPU.
m
l
a c 107 K Overclocking
June 8, 2011 6:58:49 AM

As long as you keep the peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC and the CPU voltage below 1.4v your CPU will live a long, happy life -- should last five or more years. Having overclock profiles doesn't really make sense with today's energy-efficient systems.
m
l
June 8, 2011 9:11:32 PM

I have used the gigabyte software Et6 to overclock my system in the past. I got my system to 3.2 from 2.66 but could go no further. Going into bios and changing memory specs got me to 3.59. If you are good with the speed from apps. fine. If you want that little extra go to bios.
m
l