buildingnewpc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
Intel i5
RipJaws DDR3 1600 MHz F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
Radeon HD4870 1Gb
OCZ500MXSP 500W PSU

My system is extremely unstable. It will shut down under loads which are not too great (a couple internet browsers open or something) and has trouble playing videos, although the graphics card is good.

Even at idle the BIOS reads that the CPU is running at 88-89 degrees C. I am now updating BIOS and going to check things with everest. Anyone know what is going on?

TheViper

Distinguished
1600 speed isn't natively supported by that board. It's probably ramping up your RAM voltages to compensate which is making everything unstable.

Everest should show your RAM speeds and voltages. Does it seem out of spec?

buildingnewpc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Well I recently went in and set my RAM voltage to 1.6 which is spec for the RAM. Before it was an automatic and the frequency was 1333. Also, the RAM has been tested by G.Skillz and my MB is under the approved MB list, which is part of the reason I bought the combination. I will get back to you once I can get the computer running to the point where Everest will work.

buildingnewpc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Perhaps my cpu is overheating. I notice that the thermal paste is not applied evenly on the heat sink since I had to RMA my board earlier and the cpu/heat sink were allowed to sit out in the air and be handled. I ordered some more paste and will reapply and see if I can get better cooling. Does this sounds like it might be the main issue?

TheViper

Distinguished
That absolutely could be an issue.

As a good rule of thumb, anytime you must separate the CPU and heatsink, remove the old thermal paste and apply some new thermal paste.

Reseating them together with the old and dried thermal paste can cause problems just as poor overall thermal paste coverage can.

If your cpu is at 88c, even under load, it is too hot, and will shut down to protect itself.
Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.