Help with old apps & data from old HD to new HD without the junk

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Before I decide to build a new Sandy Bridge unit, I’ve thought of just upgrading my old AMD 939 socket machine for a short while with more RAM, a newer hard drive and Win 7 HP 64 or Win 7 Pro 64 bit as a kind of stop gap until I have the funds to build a new 1155 mobo and 2500K CPU and 8 gigs of RAM.

My question is can I keep my old WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 Hard Drive and use it as a backup for a WD Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB cache SATA 3.0?

Would this be a Raid 1 type set up? Is this hard to do?

I also have an WD external HD 120 gig backup drive. The old 250 gig internal drive only has about 35 gigs of space used up on it.

How would I transfer the Apps, data and programs on the old drive to the new one without taking all of the junk, clutter, resource hogs, slow downs and trash on the drive to the new one?

I know this is a big question. Is there someplace I can learn this? I’m not so good at file management, etc. as you can probably tell.

Thanks for the help.

icy dock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hi Gary,

If you were to do a RAID 1 setup, you would need at least two drives. RAID 1 will mirror whats on one drive and copy it the a second drive. This is the most basic explanation about it. The way that many people do it if they don't have built in RAID support on their mobo is with a separate RAID controller card, or enclosures that do the same job. I don't think that there is any RAID configurations that can do that, you may have to delete the information you don't want in that case. There is also the manual backup, where you copy over what you want, but that may be inconvenient for you.

Hope this explains a little bit about the RAID 1 and the uses!

apps cant really be transfered

if you dont have the originals to install them with they sound illegal

best way is a fresh install, transfer the DATA you need and reinstall apps as your require as you go, use the old hdd as a secondary - thats the easy way, then move your required data off the old hdd onto the new, when your finnished you can format it.

Perhaps you could even use your old hdd as is and if you need to run an old app boot off it (look for the bios boot menu - F8 or F12 usually) but seriously dual boots are rubbish and arent necessary.

raid1 can protect against a drive failure but does NOT protect against virus's, corruption, deletion etc - there also mirrored, there is no replacement for a proper backup solution - external hdd etc

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks for the time and help Icy. I think I'll keep it simple with a Raid 1 type.

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Thanks Apache, I do have the originals and my financial apps I can download from the source. I do have an external backup available. Thanks for the time and info. I appreciate it.