Tried unlocking Phenom II 550BE, now PC won't boot.

bezzy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hi, I'm new around here so :hello:

I've just upgraded my PC with a new mobo (Gigabyte MA770-UD3) and CPU (Phenom II x2 550 BE). Some of you may be familiar with this processor as it is possible to unlock two extra cores and turn it into a very cheap quad core if your mobo supports ACC. Well, this is where my problems began. After turning ACC on and the BIOS had updated itself, the pc powered down for 2 seconds, rebooted, then powered down again immediately. Since then, everytime I have tried to boot up it has turned itself off before the BIOS logo has even appeared. I have tried resetting the CMOS but no joy there either. I suspect that at best the voltage is set too low for the extra two cores and at worst I have fried my brand new CPU. :cry:

Without resorting to putting in a new CPU, is there any other way to get into the BIOS before the machine turns itself off? Any suggestions are welcome.

satellite1972

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

satellite1972

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
HI I HAD THIS PROBLEM, I REMOVED POWER AND RESTET THE CMOS BUT STILL WOULDNT BOOT. FORTUNATELY I HAD A 2ND AM3 CPU (DIFFERENT SPEC) I PUT THAT IN THE PC AND IT BOOTED, I THEN RESET THE BIOS TO FAIL SAFE AND TRIED THE FIRST CPU IN AGAIN AND IT WORKED, HOW EVER I TRIED TO UNLOCK THE CORES AGAIN AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. SO THATS MY WORK AROUND. I HAVENT YET MESSED WITH THE VOLTAGES . LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GO ON AND IF YOU HAVE A SUCCESSFULL UNLOCK OR NOT

best regards

simon