Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this an ideal hardware configuration? What would you do?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 27, 2009 3:38:34 PM

Okay, so I ran this buy some other people and got some criticism but I'm still going to go ahead with it.

Currently, my specs are:

Intel Core2Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHZ
4GB RAM (only 3.5 in use -- XP32bit)
Generic POS 500w PSU
Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology EP35-DS3R
Nvidia 8800GT
130GB HDD
Samsung 22" (Native resolution: 1680x1050)

After the upgrade I've already paid for and should have finished by the weekend:

Intel Core2Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHZ
4GB RAM (only 3.5 in use -- XP32bit)
Corsair TX650w
Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology EP35-DS3R
XFX Nvidia 275 GTX
130GB HDD, 300GB HDD
Samsung 22" (Native resolution: 1680x1050)

It will be pretty much a gaming PC, hence the video card and PSU.

So far people have told me that not upgrading the CPU is a stupid idea, as it will bottleneck the whole PC--what are your thoughts on this?

I've also been told that the GTX 275 is not that much of an improvement over the 8800GT in my case because of my low resolution and also because of my slow CPU. What kind of differences am I looking at in performance?

With my hardware configuration, what kind of CPU should I upgrade to? It's not really a priority now as it's *fine* as far as I'm concerned, but in the future I might migrate to a quad core or something.

Lastly, my mainboard. Do you think it will hold up and when should I look into a new one? Since I've already purchased the new HDD (not installed yet--crappy PSU) and GTX 275, and since the Corsair PSU is a no brainer, what should I be looking into next (if you were me)?

Budget isn't really that much of a deal, but I'm more looking into upgrading what I have as opposed to buying something new altogether.

Any input is great :)  Thanks.
May 27, 2009 3:44:26 PM

the GTX 275 will be a major improvement over the 8800.

and the E8 series are very good CPU's.

but if you want to upgrade either look at the Q8400 (although at the moment this is a downgrade when it comes to gaming but it will pull ahead in a year or so) or the Q9550.
May 27, 2009 5:55:24 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
the GTX 275 will be a major improvement over the 8800.

and the E8 series are very good CPU's.

but if you want to upgrade either look at the Q8400 (although at the moment this is a downgrade when it comes to gaming but it will pull ahead in a year or so) or the Q9550.


Thanks. I'll take a look into those CPUs. Maybe not soon, but definitely in the future.

Good to hear my CPU will be able to hold it's own a little while longer!
Related resources
May 28, 2009 4:23:27 AM

If you're not going to look at them in the near future, I wouldn't bother looking at all. The Lynnfield chips (Core i5) are on their way, supposedly set to debut in early September. At that point, you may not be able to get the Q8400 or Q9550 anymore.
May 28, 2009 4:26:46 AM

I'd definitely OC that CPU. Grab a Xigmatek Dark Knight or similar cooler, you should be able to push quite a bit of juice out of that CPU.
May 28, 2009 2:06:44 PM

+1 for OC...Why not try overclocking the CPU...the C2D E8X00 series are very good overclockers...And you wont need 650W...500W or safe 550W high quality PSU would be more than suffice for that setup...
May 29, 2009 5:30:54 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting the Zalman ZM660-TX PSU instead of the Corsair, as they weren't available. The Zalman seems to be a really good PSU though. I also couldn't get the 300GB HDD inside the box because the GTX 275 takes up too much space, as do the cables from the PSU, but live and learn. Might get a bigger box later.

Currently:

Intel Core2Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHZ
ZM660-TX PSU
Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology EP35-DS3R
XFX Nvidia 275 GTX
130GB HDD
Samsung 22" (Native resolution: 1680x1050)

Quote:
And you wont need 650W...500W or safe 550W high quality PSU would be more than suffice for that setup...


That's a big negative. The 500w PSU I had wasn't even consistent, it would've been devastated by the 275. It also didn't have two 6-pin Express cables, which are a minimum for the 275. I think you need anything over a 600w just to give it room to breathe.
May 29, 2009 5:37:18 PM

^ he did say high quality.
May 29, 2009 8:21:12 PM

A high quality 550w PSU will be mch more consistant then a 500w stock PSU. On the other note, I would stick with 600w to be safe and have room for future upgrades as you said you wanted to do with the CPU to get quad core.

Not quite sure if I agree with spending 120 extra dollars on a PSU just for the extra rails unless your going SLI, but thats just me. PSU is not something I'd want to skimp on, and I'm never tell someone to downgrade if they are willing to spend the money on it.
June 1, 2009 4:38:17 AM

incognito84 said:
Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting the Zalman ZM660-TX PSU instead of the Corsair, as they weren't available. The Zalman seems to be a really good PSU though. I also couldn't get the 300GB HDD inside the box because the GTX 275 takes up too much space, as do the cables from the PSU, but live and learn. Might get a bigger box later.

Currently:

Intel Core2Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHZ
ZM660-TX PSU
Mainboard: Gigabyte Technology EP35-DS3R
XFX Nvidia 275 GTX
130GB HDD
Samsung 22" (Native resolution: 1680x1050)

Quote:
And you wont need 650W...500W or safe 550W high quality PSU would be more than suffice for that setup...


That's a big negative. The 500w PSU I had wasn't even consistent, it would've been devastated by the 275. It also didn't have two 6-pin Express cables, which are a minimum for the 275. I think you need anything over a 600w just to give it room to breathe.

Do you really think a high quality 500/ 550W PSU cannot handle your setup ?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-te...
Dont generally blow up the power requirements...it would just be wasting money on the costly PSU which you might never use fully...
And the Corsair is a Tier 1 company for the PSUs...I dint understand based on what you said the Zalman is better than the Corsair :sarcastic: 
June 1, 2009 6:10:11 AM

gkay09 said:
Do you really think a high quality 500/ 550W PSU cannot handle your setup ?
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-275-review-te...
Dont generally blow up the power requirements...it would just be wasting money on the costly PSU which you might never use fully...
And the Corsair is a Tier 1 company for the PSUs...I dint understand based on what you said the Zalman is better than the Corsair :sarcastic: 


My GTX 275 requires two 6-pin express cables (direct from the PSU) in order to function. Most of the 500/550W PSUs I looked at only had one 6-pin express and no 8-pin express at all. So that combined with the fact I might decide to upgrade soon, made me get the 660W.

I also found out that Corsair PSUs aren't available here, which is why I got a Zalman. Props to them though! Zalman does make good PSUs! They made quite a good name for themselves recently.
June 1, 2009 6:14:12 AM

There are 550W PSUs with the required power connector for the GTX 275...It was just that I couldnt agree with you saying 500/ 550W is not suffice for the GTX 275...
But like you said you might decide to upgrade, then its fine :) 
Good luck with your build...
!