Sign in with
Your question

Cooler master thermal compound kit vs antec formula 5

Last response: in Overclocking
April 11, 2011 6:56:31 PM

I'm about to a install a Phenom 9750 x 4, purchased a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus.

Question: What would you use as a thermal paste, Coolermaster Thermal
Compound Kit ( which came with the cooler or the Antec Formula 5?
April 12, 2011 1:48:36 AM

Both of those compounds fell into the "C" category for Moderate performance on this incredibly comprehensive set of reviews. That means there are about 40 compounds that scored better, and the difference between Cooler Master and Antec 5 was one tenth of a degree.

You know what? I own 5 of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus heat sinks, and each one of them has the very same paste that came in the box. The reason for that is that there is 1.3 degrees difference between that "free" TIM and the Shin-Etsu Masscool stuff you can buy a single application for $7. For a single degree, it just isn't worth it.

Now for my Thermalright monster chiller on my i7-920, that I like to crank to the limit, every degree makes a difference. For benching, buy the best performance you can - a degree in this case might make the difference for a winning overclock. If you are looking for that kind of performance you are going to spend a lot more money on your heat sink
m
l
April 12, 2011 3:50:48 AM

Thanks, I have never worked with a quad. but it's just a basic build. thanks again.
m
l
January 3, 2014 2:54:07 PM

eloric said:
Both of those compounds fell into the "C" category for Moderate performance on this incredibly comprehensive set of reviews. That means there are about 40 compounds that scored better, and the difference between Cooler Master and Antec 5 was one tenth of a degree.

You know what? I own 5 of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus heat sinks, and each one of them has the very same paste that came in the box. The reason for that is that there is 1.3 degrees difference between that "free" TIM and the Shin-Etsu Masscool stuff you can buy a single application for $7. For a single degree, it just isn't worth it.

Now for my Thermalright monster chiller on my i7-920, that I like to crank to the limit, every degree makes a difference. For benching, buy the best performance you can - a degree in this case might make the difference for a winning overclock. If you are looking for that kind of performance you are going to spend a lot more money on your heat sink

Hi, How do you know that the thermal compound that comes as stock is NanoFusion R9-GE7-PTK3 (0) rather than Cooler Master ThermalFusion 400 RG-TF4-TGU1-GP? Just curious, because I just bought a TPC 612 and I am wondering what kind of paste it would come with.
m
l
!