Hard drive only boots when AHCI or RAID mode is turned off

sulli419

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I have a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 motherboard and a 3.0 SATA hard drive. Windows XP pro only boots when ACHI/Raid mode is turned off in the BIOS. With AHCI mode turned off the SATA gets treated like an IDE drive, so there is a performance compromise. If AHCI mode is turned on, the computer reaches the windows load but then quickly flashes a "blue screen of death." I've tried installing intel's RAID drivers, but the problem persists. Anyone know what might be going on? Thanks.

BTW, I get the same problem if I use a different hard drive in this same motherboard.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
There is no performance compromise between IDE and AHCI. The performance rate of SATA is entirely handled between the hardware. The controller mode is just the software programming model.

Are you doing a clean install of Windows XP or trying to use an installation that was created on different hardware?

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008

I have the same problem with my PC. I want to enable AHCI/RAID so I can hot swap hard drives with my BlacX hard drive dock using eSATA. At the moment, it only detects drives after I reset the computer while the dock and drive are on and connected.

Must I install Windows with ACHI/RAID enabled to get this feature?