Sign in with
Your question

SSd slow all of a sudden

Last response: in Storage
January 28, 2011 4:26:26 PM

I just finished my HTPC build(new) And was installing all of my drivers and the disc that comes with the motherboard.Apparently I must have done something wrong because now my Ssd is running at the speed of my hard drive.I did a system restore and something happened to where I had to restart the computer in safe mode.I mean,it was running very fast until whatever I did made it slow up.I only installed a few things.Speccy,CPUID,Gigabyte motherboard disc,Windows 7 Ultimate 64,NVIDIA GTS450 drivers.There is not a whole lot on there.Like I said,It was running great.My system is i7 950,Zalman 128gb Ssd,1tb Wd Cviar Black,2tb Wd Caviar Green,2 GTS 450 Sparkle(fanless),Blu Ray drive,Dvd drive,Gigabyte X58USB-3 motherboard,12gb 1333mHz Corsair RAM,1000w Silverstone PSU,Silverstone Raven RV01 case,Corsair H70 cooler.

More about : ssd slow sudden

a c 277 G Storage
January 28, 2011 4:51:41 PM

It could be any of a dozen things. But the best guess is that TRIM is not being passed to the SSD.

SSDs are well known to slow down after they've been written to for a while. Windows 7 and the drives evolved something called the TRIM command to deal with this; it tells the SSD when blocks are no longer allocated so the SSD knows where it has available space.

Did you do the install with the drive controller set to AHCI mode? You will have to. You will also have to, if you did not already, install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

If you've done these, let us know. If you haven't, and need details, you can search the forum; there have been a lot of threads on this recently.

This is only the most likely issue; but we have to start somewhere.
January 28, 2011 4:55:37 PM

Yes,it is in AHCI mode.I just installed the programs like 2 hours ago and was in the middle of installing drivers and noticed it when it told me to restart my computer that it did not go nearly as fast as it did five min prior on last restart.Should I just erase the stuff off my Ssd except windows 7.I dont have much on it.
Related resources
a c 277 G Storage
January 28, 2011 5:02:04 PM

That is strange. Find someone who knows how to invoke the secure erase on the drive and start again, being sure to let the Windows 7 installation procedure do the format. If you still have this issue, ask someone with more experience than me.
January 28, 2011 5:02:44 PM

WyomingKnott said:
It could be any of a dozen things. But the best guess is that TRIM is not being passed to the SSD.

SSDs are well known to slow down after they've been written to for a while. Windows 7 and the drives evolved something called the TRIM command to deal with this; it tells the SSD when blocks are no longer allocated so the SSD knows where it has available space.

Did you do the install with the drive controller set to AHCI mode? You will have to. You will also have to, if you did not already, install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

If you've done these, let us know. If you haven't, and need details, you can search the forum; there have been a lot of threads on this recently.

This is only the most likely issue; but we have to start somewhere.

how would I get rid of everything on my Ssd except my OS?
a c 351 G Storage
January 28, 2011 5:20:04 PM

If you want to delete all programs, then you are better off just starting over and reinstall win 7 (win 7 installation will only add about 20 min). When you delete programs - who knows what garbage gets left in the registry.

Also on installation. set Disk drive to AHCI (Think that's what you had it set to). If your SSD uses the SF12xx controller do NOT let windows install the default ahci drive, instead use the INTEL "F6" driver (Ver 9.6 or later. Need to download F6 file, put on thumb drive and select custom install. On page with "where to instal there should be a check box for need additional drives.
January 28, 2011 5:23:53 PM

WyomingKnott said:
That is strange. Find someone who knows how to invoke the secure erase on the drive and start again, being sure to let the Windows 7 installation procedure do the format. If you still have this issue, ask someone with more experience than me.

Trim is Enabled
January 28, 2011 5:39:16 PM

RetiredChief said:
If you want to delete all programs, then you are better off just starting over and reinstall win 7 (win 7 installation will only add about 20 min). When you delete programs - who knows what garbage gets left in the registry.

Also on installation. set Disk drive to AHCI (Think that's what you had it set to). If your SSD uses the SF12xx controller do NOT let windows install the default ahci drive, instead use the INTEL "F6" driver (Ver 9.6 or later. Need to download F6 file, put on thumb drive and select custom install. On page with "where to instal there should be a check box for need additional drives.

I dont have ant thumb drives here
January 28, 2011 5:58:00 PM

RetiredChief said:

its ok when I use safe mode before I go to my desktop but not when I restart and go back normally
!