Houses/dorms in University town

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

I did something stupid in University-town.. ;P I spent three hours building
a beautiful dorm, or rather what I thought was a dorm, but when I finished,
I realised that when I started it and zoned the land for it as a big lot, I
made it a normal plot for rent, not for a dorm. Now my student-sims can't
move in because the game sees it as a normal house and the rent is $30,000
... ahem.
I packaged the lot into a file and didn't do anything else. How can I save
it and make it into the dorm I want it to be? :(

Thank you.

Irene

x-posted
8 answers Last reply
More about houses dorms university town
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

    OK - you can't build dorms straight anyway. You build them on residential
    lots and then use the cheat:

    changelotzoning dorm

    which will change it into a dorm lot for you.

    BUT Before you do that though ...

    Don't forget to include:

    - The proper dorm doors for the student's bedrooms (you will get as many
    students in the hall as doors you put in). You can't have double rooms
    (unless, maybe, you're playing the sims themselves in that room - even then
    I don't think it would work properly) and only one door per room.

    In the kitchen/dining area
    - Shineytyme Cooktop
    - Counter Islands
    - Dishwasher or Sink (same room as cooktop)
    - Rubbish bin (Garbage can) or waste disposal
    - Sprinkler

    You need the cooktop and counter islands in order to get the NPC to come and
    do the cooking. I'm not sure if you need the rest for this to work but
    you'd probably include them anyway.

    Don't forget a Phone
    and I think you need some lights too.

    Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into a
    dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is zoned.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > OK - you can't build dorms straight anyway. You build them on residential
    > lots and then use the cheat:
    <clip>

    > Don't forget a Phone
    > and I think you need some lights too.
    >
    > Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into
    > dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is
    > zoned.

    boolProp dormSpecificToolsDisabled false

    Should turn on all building tools. You may have to click onto decorate then
    back to building to activate the switch though.

    Granny.

    Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
    changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the changelotzoning
    residential didn't did it?

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
    > changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
    > changelotzoning
    > residential didn't did it?

    I have never tried it! 8)))
    I still can;t get the building for dorms to work in my cheat file. Never
    mind. It is no big deal to type it in< grumble-grumble>

    This is the first time I have run the university expansion proper, and,
    well, yes. Now I have found out I can grab new jobs without sending them
    away. Huh! Me with a batch of young adults in that desert place.
    What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
    corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.

    I would rusticate the lot of them only one is Mr Jone's lovely son and
    another one is Lisa Simpson - she hates it. Can;t make friends and is being
    stalked by a moose, or something equally awful, with a peculiar fondness for
    water bombs.

    Granny.

    Granny Grumpling wrote:

    >>Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
    >>changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
    >>changelotzoning
    >>residential didn't did it?
    >

    > I have never tried it! 8)))
    > I still can;t get the building for dorms to work in my cheat file. Never
    > mind. It is no big deal to type it in< grumble-grumble>
    >
    > This is the first time I have run the university expansion proper, and,
    > well, yes. Now I have found out I can grab new jobs without sending them
    > away. Huh! Me with a batch of young adults in that desert place.
    > What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
    > corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.
    >
    > I would rusticate the lot of them only one is Mr Jone's lovely son and
    > another one is Lisa Simpson - she hates it. Can;t make friends and is being
    > stalked by a moose, or something equally awful, with a peculiar fondness for
    > water bombs.
    >
    > Granny.
    >
    > Hi

    I always use the cheat and modify my dorms, they end up looking quite
    cosy once I've finished...
    I dont like the ready made ones either, I have made a few entirely from
    scratch, now I have got the hang of it with the lot zoning cheat..

    Just off to convert a normal house into a dorm, dont feel like starting
    from scratch as I have re-installed the Sims and University, and lost
    all my downloads, and recolours...

    Take care
    Julia

    > Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
    > changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
    > changelotzoning
    > residential didn't did it?

    More and anon....
    I changed a residential to community just now -Mudgett's Castle became
    Mudgett's Department Store.
    Plot showed up on map as community, telephone and all. Sent the Simpsons out
    to test drive it and a good time was had by all - until they needed to come
    home.
    The telephone that showed up in the neighbourhood view had turned into a
    post box. 8(

    Fortunately the store has an electrical small goods department else they
    would be there yet. (or boolprop 'em.)
    Interesting to see Bart whooping and cheering outside dual-occupied changing
    booth. I thought he would cringe.

    Granny.

    "Julia" <juliacarey37@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
    >> corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.
    >>
    >> Hi
    >
    > I always use the cheat and modify my dorms, they end up looking quite cosy
    > once I've finished...
    > I dont like the ready made ones either, I have made a few entirely from
    > scratch, now I have got the hang of it with the lot zoning cheat..

    I was thinking more of the other buildings. Like you I always get cracking
    on those dorms as soon as a Sim moves in.
    The roof is dead handy.....

    But the library and coffee shop. Bleak. 8(

    > Just off to convert a normal house into a dorm, dont feel like starting
    > from scratch as I have re-installed the Sims and University, and lost all
    > my downloads, and recolours...

    Don't worry, after the fifth or sixth reinstall you stop caring. 8(((
    Rather, after the fourth or fifth reinstall you start saving every file you
    can get your paws on, more like.

    I have got, my bitmaps, Copy of the Sims bitmaps. Copy of the working
    bitmaps and copy of the completed bitmaps and then a copy of the package.
    It is at this point your hard drive fails.

    Granny - always looking on the bright side and with a small mountain of
    backup CDs.

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:02:53 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into a
    >dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is zoned.
    >
    >Best wishes
    >Maxon

    Once you've moved into a dorm, IF you think of something you forgot to
    add to your dorm, you can get back into build mode by using the
    following cheat:

    boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false

    It will unlock the Full build and buy mode while in a dorm. Keep in
    mind that if you are in build mode when you enter the cheat, you will
    NOT See all your build options Until you select another option and
    then select build mode Again!

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Sims Games Video Games