Sign in with
Your question

CATALYST 9.6 OFFICIALY OUT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2009 7:49:53 AM

There u go :) 
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Performance Improvements
Catalyst™ 9.6 brings performance benefits in several cases where framerates are CPUlimited.
Some measured examples are:
Company of Heroes – performance improves up to 25% with HD 4600 series
products and below as well as improvements of up to 10% on HD 4800 series
Crysis – performance improves up to 13% in multi-GPU configurations
Crysis Warhead – performance improves up to 11% in multi-GPU configurations
World in Conflict – performance improvements of up to 30% can be seen in settings
that were previously CPU limited

More about : catalyst officialy

June 16, 2009 8:10:46 AM

technically with every release they claim like 25% and whatever, after a few releases does it all add up to 100% more then the original release drivers? lol
June 16, 2009 8:17:35 AM

the 9.6 are as bad as all the other ati drivers so dont bother
Related resources
June 16, 2009 8:24:54 AM

michaelmk86 said:

Im interested, especially on such a negative comment. Which games arent working, or the drivers are bad in?
June 16, 2009 10:06:25 AM

Quote:
Hmm, will give these a try, of course like apache i wonder what they are comparing them to for the frame boosts.

But both camps always claim that, and neither camp admit what the new drivers break. Such is the cycle.
June 16, 2009 11:47:26 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Im interested, especially on such a negative comment. Which games arent working, or the drivers are bad in?

You may want to refresh your memory going through this thread.

:D 
June 16, 2009 11:54:50 AM

andyKCIUK said:
You may want to refresh your memory going through this thread.

:D 

You're dealing with fanaticism mate, it's beyond reason, logic and reality possibly bordering on religion.
June 16, 2009 1:35:26 PM

michaelmk86 said:

Great news! I'll install them and let you know of performance changes.

If these drivers are as "bad" as the previous set of drivers than they'll work great for me since Cat 9.5 fixed couple of game bugs for me and have been working flawlessly.

Cheers

June 16, 2009 3:43:59 PM

Euphoria_MK said:
Great news! I'll install them and let you know of performance changes.

If these drivers are as "bad" as the previous set of drivers than they'll work great for me since Cat 9.5 fixed couple of game bugs for me and have been working flawlessly.

Cheers

Good to see that no one is having any problems with the drivers.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-266018_15_0.html#t1953256
June 16, 2009 3:57:13 PM

Quote:
Well, i ran the crysis benchmark, and i gained 1fps on my minimum, lost 1 fps on my average and lost 2-3fps on my max.

Does it feel like a 13% improvement though?
June 16, 2009 4:03:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Good to see that no one is having any problems with the drivers.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-266018_15_0.html#t1953256

There will always be a small percentage of people experiencing issues with any drivers and any hardware. But bluntly stating that these drivers are crap is just plain ignorant and stupid.

Go search for problems on Nvidia Drivers, as a mater of fact go searching for problems on any device, maybe your HDTV or DVD player and you'll find people experiencing problems.

It might be many things as mentioned before in other posts on these forums... People overclock, install RivaTuner, they tweak and change their Windows system configuration, so all of these variables can cause instability or errors.
Personally I haven't had a bit of problems with any of the drivers since I switched from Nvidia to ATI six months ago. They've increased stability and they've fixed the HDMI sound bug on FarCry 2, so I am a happy camper. Sorry about your problems though.

Cheers
June 16, 2009 4:08:14 PM

What problems?, you might want to slow down and read threads a little more thoroughly.
June 16, 2009 4:09:19 PM

Im inclined to agree. Im thinking its more OS changing than anything. Maybe I should run a poll
June 16, 2009 4:14:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What problems?, you might want to slow down and read threads a little more thoroughly.

Well I saw you posting a link to another thread where someone is having problems with Cat 9.6 and then you are making a sarcastic remark about me not having problems.
There are two reasons you would do something like that: 1) You yourself own an ATI product and you are unhappy with its performance, or 2) You are just trolling...

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

Cheers
June 16, 2009 4:21:36 PM

So i'll concede that ATIs drivers are inconsistent and plenty of times ive been thoroughly pissed at its refusal to work with dual monitors in linux. 9.6 wrote to my xorg.conf file flawlessly where 9.5 bricked my system on two seperate occasions in three different distros, even if my attempts to force AA and texture filtering through CCC led to it sometimes mirroring my display across both monitors on startup. The only real issues ive ever had with ATI drivers in Windows came while I was running the PDC build of Windows 7. It led to explorer.exe refusing to start, and random arbitrary issues. Performance gains are usually neglegible but even i believe i saw a small increase from 9.4 to 9.5.
June 16, 2009 4:31:49 PM

Im starting to notice the OS type/use is a main problem. Whether its slipped, or tweaked, or hacked, that could be a major problem with these drivers, especially since its usage of .net. Many never had/have a problem, while others always seem to.
June 16, 2009 4:54:19 PM

But what dishonest soul would use a hacked, cracked or otherwise non pukka OS? [:mousemonkey]
June 16, 2009 5:46:54 PM

i installed these drivers this morning n then after i tried installin the most recent drivers to my intel nic an the screen crapped out n the pc froze what happend someone explain to me? intel nic messing up the graphics driver ?
June 16, 2009 6:02:25 PM

Great news ;)  i tested WIC and Crysis (Original) and FarCry 2 and here is the result:

PC specs:
Q6600 @ 3.4
ATI HD 4870X2 Stock
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
VISTA ULTIMATE X64 SP1
1920x1080 resolution

Crysis
I used the benchmark tool with a costume config called BLUESKY and ran a 3 loop test and here is what i got :

CAT 9.5:
Run #1- DX10 1920x1080 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: ~~ Overall Average FPS: 38.95

CAT 9.6:
Run #1- DX10 1920x1080 AA=No AA, 64 bit test, Quality: ~~ Overall Average FPS: 42.59

I was a little surprised by the results because the benchmark ran alot smoother compared to 9.5 but i only got 4 more FPS,so i decided to run the game itself and bingo i got 10 FPS more compared to 9.5 which is very good :) 

Map Island :
CAT 9.5 : 34.8

CAT 9.6 : 45.3

Map rescue:
CAT 9.5 : 41.5

CAT 9.6 : 50.7

Company Of Heroes(No patches):
Settings used: Everything maxed out @ 1920x1080 + 16xAF/0xAA + DX10
I ran the benchmark tool and i was very impressed with the results:

CAT 9.5:
Average:44
Minimum:22
Maximum:104

CAT 9.6:
Average:54
Minimum:28
Maximum:122

FarCry 2:The FPS was the same as Cat 9.5 (and its normal though because FarCry2 wasn't in the release note)

Overall i am very impressed with this new driver :)  good job ATI ;) 

June 16, 2009 6:34:18 PM

I've heard that...with 9.6, HD4850 performance drops(fps drops).... HD4870 and other dual cards get performance increase..
June 16, 2009 9:22:35 PM

Do you have an alternative link (eg: from overclocker3D) because it's giving me that "invalid link" message again. Thanks!
June 17, 2009 11:33:13 AM

Just tested Crysis Warhead and got about 2-3 FPS more
June 17, 2009 12:57:38 PM

I installed the driver yesterday....I was trying to download 9.5 and 0.6 was there.

The following games work crysis, stalker, half-life 2. The frame rates are better but nothing that my eyes can appreciate or detect. It is still an improvement

9.6 addressed one of my viewsonic LCD issue. 9.4 don't turn on my LCD display when the computer WAKE UP from SLEEP mode. Thats good.

PowerDVD 7.3 don't recognize the driver revision. It stop playing HDCP compliant disc such as Blue-Ray and HD-DVD. There is no update from Cyberlink as of yesterday. PowerDVD don't have 9.6 on its list of HDCP compliant driver. This is an UPDATE related problem. NON-HDCP HD-Video worked just fine.

Visual Studio 2008 eventually started after some -reconfiguring. My softwares still works but these are for controlling different hardware(USB, Serial Ports, GPIB). I don't have any high graphics application to be affected by the new driver.
June 17, 2009 1:31:47 PM

Yep same here. Small increase in Frame Rate. No problems with any of my games: L4D, Fallout 3, COD: World of War. I also purchased yesterday Ghostbusters from steam and that game ran flawlessly.
So far these drivers are a keeper for me.

Cheers
June 17, 2009 1:54:54 PM

So far im indifferant with them, they dont show any improvement and havent changed anything else. I was hoping for better performance for the 4770, well it does seem very slightly more stable. On the whole i see no reason to change back to 9.5 but i see no reason to change to 9.6 on the other PC.
Just need to decide if im going to bother with the W7 drive or not
Mactronix
June 17, 2009 2:24:44 PM

I've installed more drivers and used more current video cards than 99% of the people on these forums, ATI's drivers aren't and better or worse than nVidia's, they both suck.

CAT 9.6 has done very well with Crysis on my setup and gave me around 10 extra minimum framerates. Too bad I don't play Crysis and I can max everything else already...
June 17, 2009 2:33:09 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
I've installed more drivers and used more current video cards than 99% of the people on these forums, ATI's drivers aren't and better or worse than nVidia's, they both suck.

CAT 9.6 has done very well with Crysis on my setup and gave me around 10 extra minimum framerates. Too bad I don't play Crysis and I can max everything else already...

+1 (and +1 more for impartiality)
June 17, 2009 2:43:43 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:

Well i have been swapping hardware in and out for years, both for myself and others who think there is a monster or some such in side the case :lol:  Anyway call me lucky i guess but i can count on one hand the number of times a driver for anything has given me any type of issue. Usually its finding the correct drivers for whatever it is someone has landed in my lap to fix that is the main issue.

Mactronix
June 17, 2009 4:14:32 PM

meodowla said:
Several bugs not fixed:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&th...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=1624505...

Catalyst 9.6 not good for playback of HD contents in Full HD display in Windows Vista & 7(Catalyst still have conflicts with Windows Aero).
Need to switch back to XP.

You can set your media player to automatically disable aero while it is open. Power DVD does it whether you want it to or not if you are watching a blue ray. While I have confirmed that bug and reported it to be kind to thsoe that have a problem with it.. As a long time member of the ATI forums, they are the king location of PEBKAC issues.
June 17, 2009 5:37:39 PM

Here is the fix for Windows Aero theme when using PowerDVD.

This is not related to ATI driver....

• This was a problem back in vista, you can fix it with a few registry tweaks (always backup before playing with the registry) The following keys need to be edited:

(32bit)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cyberlink\PowerDVD

UI_AskAero=1
UseNVDWMOn=1 (For Nvidia) <--- this set to 1 if you have a nvidia card
UseATIDWMOn=1 (For ATI) <------ this set to 1 if you have a AMD (ATI) card

(64bit)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cyberlink\PowerDVD8
UI_AskAero=1
UseNVDWMOn=1 (For Nvidia)
UseATIDWMOn=1 (For ATI)
June 17, 2009 5:39:12 PM

After the registry tweak it PowerDVD will not disable Windows Aero.
June 18, 2009 8:54:50 AM

thx for the link jaydee :)  was expecting xbitlabs to review it,they mostly do :D 

However if u look @ my post above,u will see my benchmarks,and i got 10 FPS more in WIC(Original) but xbitlabs test doesn't show any significant improvements,also i got about 2-3 FPS more in Crysis warhead too,i think there is something wrong with their test.
June 18, 2009 9:02:42 AM

What about tests with HD4850 on 1920x1080?
June 18, 2009 10:27:11 AM

Don't know :D  u have a HD 4850 yourself why not test with it :D 
June 18, 2009 10:37:37 AM

Maziar said:
Don't know :D  u have a HD 4850 yourself why not test with it :D 

I'm having some problems with my new display(1920x1080)... i don't know what coz the problem... done Prime95 and memtest without failure... next thing to check is GPU, GPU driver, O.S and the display itself....
!