Amd - latest board and processor

jennyh

Splendid
Processor is 965 BE, Mobo is actually a mid-range one that I can't remember the tag of.

As always with AMD, you're best served by buying what is their last product instead of their current one. IE, don't buy a 965 BE, buy a 955 BE instead. For a mobo, buy a 790gx instead of a 790fx. This is how you pay a lot less and keep up with the Jones's :)

sailer

Splendid
I just did a build with a 955 BE and a Crosshair 3 board and GSkill ram, and I'm very pleased with the setup. After doing a fair amount of research, I made the conclusion that the 965 BE is just a slightly overclocked and overvolted 955 BE, perhaps cherry picked 955s that can take the upgrade well enough to get a factory warranty. As it is, I boosted the clock on my 955 past the 965 without having to make any boost in voltage at all, so I'm very pleased with that. I also have a TRUE with dual fans that are keeping the overclocked 955 at 47c while loading the cores to 100 percent, so I like that as well.

So I'd suggest getting a 955 BE over the 965 BE. As for the suggestion of a 790GX board, in my opinion, I think the 790FX is a better board. The only advantage of the GX is that it has better internal graphics, but if you're using an add in card, Nvidia or ATI, the internal graphics are of no value. Beyond that, the FX board will commonly overclock better than a GX board. At least that has been my experience, having owned a GX board before buying a FX board.