Am I already overclock it?

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I have Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and I change the frequency from 200 (standard) to 217 where the ratio is 15. So I have 3.25Ghz. I boot up my pc and I can see the different. It is a bit faster than before, my programs opened more quickly,and I ran Windows 7 WEI, it goes from 4.1 (3.0Ghz) to 4.5 (3.25Ghz). But in my computer Properties, it still show 3.0Ghz. CPU-Z show 3.25Ghz. How to overclock it permanently? Where we open computer Properties, and it will appear 3.25Ghz?

Solution
^+1

Just make sure you have adequate cooling. If the P4 get's too hot it will "throttle" and essentially pause working threads and issue itself empty cycles to keep cool. Not to mention it will get unstable at higher clock speeds if it's not kept cool ^_^. With a good tower cooler and capable motherboard a clock speed of 3.6GHz is certainly doable and more is possible. Read a P4 overclocking guide and monitor your temps

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
as long as it is done in bios, if CPU-Z says you are running at 3.25ghz, then you run at 3.25ghz.

Computer Properties doesn't always show you what speed your chip is running, it only shows it's native speed. This happens in old systems. Since you have an Intel Pentium 4, that is considered old.

If you aren't doing in bios, but programs instead, make sure the program turns on minimized and overclocks the core at every boot-up.

Simple Answer: The Properties is Wrong.

^+1

Just make sure you have adequate cooling. If the P4 get's too hot it will "throttle" and essentially pause working threads and issue itself empty cycles to keep cool. Not to mention it will get unstable at higher clock speeds if it's not kept cool ^_^. With a good tower cooler and capable motherboard a clock speed of 3.6GHz is certainly doable and more is possible. Read a P4 overclocking guide and monitor your temps

Solution

TRENDING THREADS