Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2011 6:11:03 AM

Hey guys!

I need help on deciding for a new cooler. Currently have the Thermaltake Frio which is great but a bit too loud. Kept it on medium setting but still uneasy and feels like such a waste. Anyway currently running Phenom II 965 at 3.8 averaging at 35c at room temp of about 14c. Hoping not to stray too far from current temps. There are also plans on migrating to new system, still waiting on dozer to decide. As such the two coolers I actually have in mind are the Antec Kuhler 620 or Noctua NH-D14 cooler. My case is the HAF X so I can pretty much accommodate most anything. I generally want silent cooling since I'm running reference 6970 and add to that the frio and you get one head humping sound. I can still hear it while I play using my headset. Please give suggestions, thanks in advance guys.

~Drex

More about : cooler

April 12, 2011 6:38:00 AM

I'm running a Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 on my i7 990x @4.0GHZ with 2 fans (mounting hardware for an extra fan is included.) The Cooler is fairly small and doesn't block any mem slots. Best thing is, it's very quiet, with an ambient of 18c, idle temps are ~21c and load temps while folding@home don't go above ~42c.... oh, and it's way inexpensive.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 7:38:58 AM

I had a Thermaltake Frio too, it is extremely loud, what i looked for after switching was something that was better but quieter. I looked at the H70, but found something silver that hit me in the eye.

Got this about a few days ago, it's aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome! Rank #1 Air cooler atm i believe. right before the Noctua D14.

Results Thermalright Silver Arrow vs Noctua NH-D14
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

Idle Temps on my X6 1090T

Their products website
http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=96&ca...

Good luck choosing. :D 
Related resources
April 12, 2011 7:54:57 AM

@nethelio1 its really that good?wow, those numbers for that price. How small is fairly small? Little larger than the stock cooler?

@trihedral Wow, it looks a bit crowded there, thats the phantom right? That case is huge, and it still looks like that? How is the general noise level?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 7:59:08 AM

@ drexeus

you guessed right

Here's the overall size before i changed the fans from pull to push. It's Huge.

Pushing decreased temps by 5C.

It won't hit your ram if you have no heatsinks sticking out of them.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 8:55:53 AM

I've seen many reviews showing the silver arrow outperform the D14 by 1-2C, but for your review, is vice versa. It's just different people in different conditions i suppose.

No, i bought mine for $79.99 at a nearby store so it wasn't base lapped. That term is new to me, i think it means to flatten the base correct?

it shouldn't matter if you use a good amount of thermal paste at the center.

extra $15 isn't worth it lol.
m
l
April 12, 2011 9:00:49 AM

hehehe, thanks for the info. Yup, they level the base. At least seeing your own results I can safely say regardless of being lapped or not that it still is cool and is quiet. Thanks for the heads up.
m
l
April 12, 2011 9:01:06 AM

Best answer selected by drexeus.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2011 9:02:30 AM

btw, nice mobo. i wish i had the program TurboV EVO.

do you know where i can download it without an Asus board?
m
l
April 12, 2011 2:18:42 PM

aw man, sorry to say but im not sure. Actually didn't install any extra other than pc probe II. Thanks again.
m
l
!