mtyskow

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I built myself a system a little over a year ago and everything's been running fine until recently. About a month ago I went to reboot my computer (from within Windows) and it wouldn't boot back up. It beeped once as normal but never sent a signal to the display. I thought the graphics card might be overheating because it felt hot and I was leaving for the weekend so I left it off and then rebuilt it when I got back and took the time to tuck all the wires away. Everything booted up fine and it restarted without a problem for a couple weeks until today when I ran into the same problem. Thinking I was overloading the power supply, I disconnected my two DVD drives but that didn't help. Finally, it booted up after letting it sit for about half an hour.

Here is my system...

E8400 @ stock speeds
Asus P5K-E
Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT
Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W
Corsair XMS DHX 4GB
Another 2GB of RAM (can't remember brand/model but it's the same timings)
WD Caviar 640GB
WD Caviar 320GB
Two Samsung DVD+/-RW
Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer

As you can see, I'm running a lot on a 500W power supply but if that was the source of the problem, I thought I would have problems during use but that's not the case. I thought maybe my graphics card was overheating but today it only took about 30 minutes to boot back up - that wasn't long enough to let it cool down - and it usually runs 24/7 without a problem.

I'm assuming it's a hardware problem because it has happened on both Vista 32- and 64-bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtyskow

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for the reply. GPU-Z says it's running at 51C with a 25% fan speed and that's after a couple hours of just browsing the web. I have no idea if that's a normal temperature or not. I have previously added two fans to my side panel that are moving air right around the graphics card and I moved my sound card to a slot farther away...I don't know what else I can do to lower those temps.

Here's the temperature data from SpeedFan if anybody can decipher any problems from it...

System: 36C
CPU: 35C
AUX: 119C
Core 0: 52C
Core 1: 39C

Thanks again.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
51C doesn't sound excessive and the Antec EA500 is a quality PSU that should be able to handle that system. Suppose you could download and run Memtest but it
doesn't sound like a memory issue. Any chance of substituting the graphics card to see if your's is on the fritz?

mtyskow

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I just checked again and AUX is still reading 119C...I don't think it's ever said anything other than 119C. I read somewhere to just ignore that temperature in SpeedFan so I've never paid much attention to it.

I don't have another graphics card to swap in, but I was planning on upgrading so I guess I'll just do that sooner than I had planned. I'll also run Memtest just to be sure.

Thanks for the help.