• Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 29, 2011 2:01:22 AM

first, let me explain my hard drive set up
2x 2TB RAID 0
2x 300GB 10K drive RAID 0
1x 128GB OS and programs SSD

i will not be using most of this, but i would like to be able to back up a lot of it
is there anyway i could backup the OS, it's programs, and the data

i was thinking about a 2TB drive that i could put in and then take out once everything was backed up, but the stuff will be split, and i wouldn't know how to back up the OS, if possible, or the software. the data would be easy to back up, if backing up AID 0 data is as easy as backing up normal data

this is also my first RAID set up

i am using the UD7 P67 motherboard

i have 1 extra hot-swappable drive bay open

More about : back 728tb data

January 29, 2011 2:42:48 AM

cloud? o.O
no idea...
m
l
January 29, 2011 2:49:42 AM

tomate2 said:
cloud? o.O
no idea...

your not much help :kaola: 

i don't want a company to have all of my data online, are you crazy
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 29, 2011 3:07:34 AM

There is no magical way to backup close to 5TB of data; the most reliable way I know of would be to get an external 4 bay RAID 5 enclosure, but those cost around 200$ without the drives so ~600$ and it would hold 6TB using 2TB drives.

I know backups are a good practice, but is there any kind of problem you want to guard against? If it's HW failure, you should have opted for RAID 5 for your drives, not RAID 0.
m
l
January 29, 2011 4:07:03 AM

i know...

i could get a cheap 2TB drive for $70 x 3= $210... that means that i could do a back up every 6 months or so... dealing with a mature software set is much easier than re installing everything

ill probably get another drive for ubuntu all to itself later so that will take up my last, sixth bay.
m
l
January 29, 2011 4:10:02 AM

i do have an open hot swappable bay, making the process reliantly easy and quick (switching the drives at least)...

i think this will work, i just wonder why no one else does this since it is much cheaper
m
l
January 29, 2011 4:10:28 AM

i could also cut chances of drive failure with a UPS
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 29, 2011 9:29:51 AM

Instead of backing up programs and such routinely, you probably want to make incremental backups after you've made a master. This way only changed data will be copied. Every month or week you should make a new master.

There are several dozen different backup regimines that all take different amounts of storage space. Be realistic with the amount of data you can't replace, and back it up. IMO backups for OS and Apps aren't worth it. Windows and apps can be replaced in a matter of hours, pictures and documents can't be re-installed. Make copies of any optical media you install your programs on, download and burn the install files of programs you must have if rebuilding your machine, backup everything else to a 2TB drive in your hotswap bay that you normally store in a static bag in a firesafe.
January 29, 2011 12:32:24 PM

I agree with Zenthar, raid 5 seems to be a likely solution.
m
l
January 29, 2011 2:42:30 PM

Best answer selected by deathbydoubleG.
m
l
January 29, 2011 2:43:57 PM

someone19 said:
Instead of backing up programs and such routinely, you probably want to make incremental backups after you've made a master. This way only changed data will be copied. Every month or week you should make a new master.

There are several dozen different backup regimines that all take different amounts of storage space. Be realistic with the amount of data you can't replace, and back it up. IMO backups for OS and Apps aren't worth it. Windows and apps can be replaced in a matter of hours, pictures and documents can't be re-installed. Make copies of any optical media you install your programs on, download and burn the install files of programs you must have if rebuilding your machine, backup everything else to a 2TB drive in your hotswap bay that you normally store in a static bag in a firesafe.

i will put static bag in a fireproof gun safe, though, if there is a fire, i doubt my computer would survive
m
l
a c 179 G Storage
January 29, 2011 10:49:57 PM

I use one of these and back up 6 PC's to it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1. All the data on the network resides on the NAS, none is stored locally.....it's RAID 1 so covered by drive failure. It has has an i-Tune server

2. The OS and programs partitions are backed up monthly. The Free F-Backup does the job for Programs partitions .... Shadow Protect Desktop the OS partitions.
m
l
January 29, 2011 11:30:33 PM

there is a better way:
1. install a fresh copy of your system, install all programs that you use. tweak all the settings. dont rush, just plan ahead. when done clone this partition in file with norton ghost or similar program. if disaster will struck you will restore all your system in 10-15 minutes in such way.
2. do incremental backups as someone19 already suggested.

when needed your complete system with all the programs and data will be online in less than 30min in such way.
m
l
December 7, 2012 5:32:37 PM

Why RAID 0 for data drives?? That makes data loss or failure MORE likely. You have an SSD for the OS and Apps which is where the speed advantage make the most difference. I would put your data drives as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Then to backup the data, I'd use an external USB 3.0 drive, then it's fast and easily taken off-site, etc. They have 4GB drives available now.
m
l