_getter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hello,

I have i5 750, which cooler would be best choice in range about 50 - 75 € ?
Also, I would need your help about these two
- CPU Cooler Noctua NH-C12P
- CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P

Price is almost same, any big difference?

P.S
Should I supply any other info and what is relevant, I guess nothing else except my case/system unit ?

Best regards,

_getter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks for the welcome :)

At the moment they are (that should change, hopefully). What others would you recommend ?
My case is SilverStone Tower PS02 (ATX).

Your case can support 161mm coolers or below, that means that support very good coolers like Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow and Thermalrith Archon.

If you can find one of those and fit in your budget, get it. Another options are: Titan Fenrir, Hyper 212+, and Venomous X.

_getter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks for reply, but unfortunately couldn't find any of those in shops near to me :(

jb6684

Distinguished
I would recommend the CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P over the other model simply because it can be configured to blow the hot air horizontally and OUT of the case.

I am biased I own two of them, one on an i7-860 & the other on an i7-950. They work great on i7-860, a 95watt chip. But, on the i7-950, a 125watt chip, you'll want something more to hit 4Ghz OC with cool temps. For an i7-950 I'd go for the Noctua NH-D14...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014&Tpk=NH-U12P

The NH-C12P, is a down-blower. I would ONLY use it if I had a very limited height available in my case (like a HTPC case). OR, if I had a really low end motherboard, with only a 2, or 3 phase power supply for the CPU. Those cheap voltage regulators get hot and without a down blowing cooler, like this (or a stock down blowing cooler) they get scorching hot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019&Tpk=NH-C12P

_getter

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks for answering!

In that case a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. Spend the saved monies on other stuff. The 212= is quite good for the price. It is quite adequate for all but extreme overclocking and it is relatively light and mounts well to the MB.
I don't mind paying for Noctua NH-U12P if it would be good, since I currently have it as best/simplest choice, and it's kinda long-term buying :D

Thanks, if I get the chance I guess I can buy that one too :sol:

Thanks buddy!

IphoneLover

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I bought the CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P, but have awkward situation. When idle (load = 0% on all cores) temperature are even slightly higher (for few degrees higher than on my old cooler which comes with CPU, around 36 degrees two cores and other two around 33 degrees), but when it's on full load temperatures are at 50 degrees (maximum is around 50~52) which is excellent compared to old one (temperatures were at 75 - 80 :ouch:).
I was checking the reviews on newegg site about the NH-U12P and most of people get their temperatures 10 degrees lower on idle, some even have temperatures under 20 degrees :( and my temperatures at full load and on load about 30% don't different much (5-10 degrees).

Any ideas / opinions ? Might be normal?

CPU is same, i5 750 and not overclocked.

Edit
Ok, after few hours of working, my current idle temperatures on cores are 39, 35, 39, 35 :sweat:

Edit 2: Just did reset of settings in bios and they are now around 27 on idle(26 minimum), all cores :) Any ideas on these settings or any other possible settings ?

One separate question:
I guess the implementation and position of fans matters, but they are directed both out of case and in same direction as recommended in manual. By the way, my case fan isn't working atm, don't have any spaces on motherboard to plug it on so I have to buy special cable for that. Maybe to take off the second fan on noctua and turn on my case fan?