Use software or BIOS to overclock?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2011 10:09:29 PM

So I have the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard and a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

The mobo came with a dvd that had softwares: AMD overdrive, Turbo V and AI Suite

Do you recommend me using one of these softwares or doing it manually in the BIOS?

Are there pros and cons and does it really make a difference?

More about : software bios overclock

a b à CPUs
April 13, 2011 12:40:07 AM

It is better to overclock in the BIOS as you have more control over system settings, however if you over do the overclocking in the BIOS you may have to clear the CMOS memory to undo your changes. It is easier and safer to overclock using the software method but as you have less control you won’t be able to overclock as much and your overclock may be less stable.
m
l
a c 173 à CPUs
a c 198 K Overclocking
April 13, 2011 11:31:13 AM

BIOS, by all means. With the arrival of the AMD BE's and Intel i-K's, it is not as important as it used to be.

I think the largest problem with software is that you do not know what the software is doing to the voltages.
m
l
April 13, 2011 11:58:26 AM

Like has been mentioned, BIOS is normally best but GUI solutions were implemented for the same reason they are always implemented: The novice or the unsure or the uninitiated can feel more comfortable doing it.

I don't trust GUI approaches to make the changes properly or keep them after reboot, I was burned by MSI's solution back in the s939 days and have never trusted them since. </my $.02>
m
l